Silly Pluto...

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
DreaminginBlue_2

Silly Pluto...

Post by DreaminginBlue_2 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:14 pm

One of my E's, Pluto, seems to be an oddball when it comes to shells. He started off in an awful painted one. His first change with me was into a cassis shell, which I put in the tank as an "eh, maybe they'll like it" experiment. I've never heard of any crabs wearing them, but he immediately took that one weird shell out of the bunch.
Tonight he changed into a Rapana shell, which I've heard most crabs don't like. However, my little weirdo looks very handsome in his new shell and he's been showing off to the other crabbies. :lol:
You can also see how he modified the inside of the cassis.

Topic author
DreaminginBlue_2

Re: Silly Pluto...

Post by DreaminginBlue_2 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:37 pm

He just changed right back into the cassis and I got to watch! So cool, the very first shell change I've seen. I wish I could've gotten a picture or video!! He's still poking around with other shells, so we'll see.

Topic author
DreaminginBlue_2

Post by DreaminginBlue_2 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:49 pm

He changed into another Rapana and I GOT IT ON VIDEO! So excited! I've just seen two shell changes in one night! I'll try to post the video but it isn't the best quality.

Topic author
DreaminginBlue_2

Post by DreaminginBlue_2 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:52 pm

Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:02 am

You're right, not great quality, but how wonderful and exciting. I love it that I can hear your excitement in your post. My crabs are jealous, we can't find many shells here. I just ordered the ones that have been posted here, from etsy. See how that does. Love the video. Would look at all you post.

Topic author
DreaminginBlue_2

Post by DreaminginBlue_2 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:18 am

Thank you. It's dark in the crabitat and my old iPad doesn't do well with video, so if I ever get the chance to catch it again, I'll try to get a better quality. I got these shells from a very generous member here and the crabbies love them. Pluto is having a field day.
I guess because I have E's and they don't change much, I get really excited when they do. I'm definitely a crab momma, I feel proud of my little guy for trying new shells. :hearts:
I hope you are able to find some good shells! I've ordered online from Naples and was very pleased. Another online stores I've seen recommended is Richard's.

Topic author
DreaminginBlue_2

Post by DreaminginBlue_2 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:27 am

Man, he's really having fun with these shells!

Topic author
DreaminginBlue_2

Post by DreaminginBlue_2 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:50 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LPB9NFErk ... e=youtu.be
and... back into the same Rapana he tried a bit ago. :hlol:

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:13 pm

DreaminginBlue_2 wrote:He just changed right back into the cassis and I got to watch! So cool, the very first shell change I've seen. I wish I could've gotten a picture or video!! He's still poking around with other shells, so we'll see.
The first one you see is always so exciting! :crabbigsmile:
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:25 pm

How awesome! That second video especially - was that a molt sack on the left side of his abdomen? Looks like it to me. Love those waving antennules!
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:08 pm

I have a couple shells in my tank that are missing the spirals. I suppose it like having your favorite pair of pants altered :)
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

Topic author
DreaminginBlue_2

Post by DreaminginBlue_2 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Yep! It must've been a molt sack, because he was MIA this morning and there was a pile of disturbed substrate. He ended up taking a Babylon shell after I fell asleep, bescause it was missing, too.
I also love the pants metaphor. I'll be using that from now on.

mjjluver

Post by mjjluver » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:36 am

fun! you have a ton of shells in there! no wonder he's changing all the time, hahah

Topic author
DreaminginBlue_2

Post by DreaminginBlue_2 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:52 am

LOL yep, he's picky... so I got as many as I could to encourage him and his buddies.
As of right now, he reappeared from his "molt" and is back in the Rapana- classic "psyche!" move to keep me on my toes. :roll:

Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:37 pm

Awesome video!!!!!! A lot going on there. Really happy for you (errrr....jealous) ha ha ha