Stuck

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Danik

Stuck

Post by Danik » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:45 am

If a crab gets stuck somewhere because of the shell will they abandon the shell for another one?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous

Re: Stuck

Post by Rawrgeous » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:55 am

I imagine if they absolutely can't get dislodged for any reason they eventually might, but I think that would be extremely rare. Crabs hold on to their shell as it is protection for their soft abdomen so it would take quite a lot to get them to just abandon their shells. Their legs and claws are actually extremely strong, and they can move a surprising amount of weight for their size, so I have never had one truly get stuck, so I can't say for sure. They seem to move whatever is in their way. I imagine they would just struggle until they were dislodged if they did for some reason get stuck though.

Topic author
Danik

Post by Danik » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:02 am

Rawrgeous wrote:I imagine if they absolutely can't get dislodged for any reason they eventually might, but I think that would be extremely rare. Crabs hold on to their shell as it is protection for their soft abdomen so it would take quite a lot to get them to just abandon their shells. Their legs and claws are actually extremely strong, and they can move a surprising amount of weight for their size, so I have never had one truly get stuck, so I can't say for sure. They seem to move whatever is in their way. I imagine they would just struggle until they were dislodged if they did for some reason get stuck though.
That's what I was thinking

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:23 am

Es are pretty famous for doing just this! I have had them ditch shell and jump from my hands just from trying to hold them up by the shell to get a better look at them.

Crabs are not so attached to their shells that they will risk their lives to keep them, but individual crabs have different amounts of patience when it comes to trying to work free when stuck. Most will be willing to put a lot of work into gettinf free and take their time to do it, but some - especially Es - seem like they don't even bother trying.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Danik

Post by Danik » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:45 am

wodesorel wrote:Es are pretty famous for doing just this! I have had them ditch shell and jump from my hands just from trying to hold them up by the shell to get a better look at them.

Crabs are not so attached to their shells that they will risk their lives to keep them, but individual crabs have different amounts of patience when it comes to trying to work free when stuck. Most will be willing to put a lot of work into gettinf free and take their time to do it, but some - especially Es - seem like they don't even bother trying.
Awesome ty

MacyY

Post by MacyY » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:52 am

Isn't it is rare because Crabs hold on to their shell as it is protection for their soft abdomen am i right

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:47 am

Haha, that sounds like something an E would do! :)

Sent from my IPA1489 using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!