Customizing Shells, Anyone try it?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Customizing Shells, Anyone try it?

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:41 pm

I was wondering if anyone ever tried to customize their own shells. Similar to how you can buy them with dolphins, spots, stripes, and palm trees engraved on them. I was thinking that may be something to try to pass some time during our hour lunch break at work. Plus I can never find the Skull and Cross Bones or Flame designs.
I'm guessing a Dremel or engraver would work, along with a steady hand and a dust mask.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

soilentgringa

Re: Customizing Shells, Anyone try it?

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:49 pm

Motörcrab wrote:I was wondering if anyone ever tried to customize their own shells. Similar to how you can buy them with dolphins, spots, stripes, and palm trees engraved on them. I was thinking that may be something to try to pass some time during our hour lunch break at work. Plus I can never find the Skull and Cross Bones or Flame designs.
I'm guessing a Dremel or engraver would work, along with a steady hand and a dust mask.
People have DIY'd with Dremels, but afaik it can be time consuming and messy. Some had trouble gauging how much of the shell layers to remove before thinning it out too much or punching through but if you have spare shells, a Dremel, and a Vogmask then go for it.

\m/

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:31 am

We had a member on here that dremmeled some gorgeous shells. I adopted her crabs and acquired them. She did a rose on one, and a miscellaneous design on the other. They turned out gorgeous! At one point she had set up a shop to customize shells, but I don’t think it was successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:52 am

I think it could be fun to do a shell every other week, or maybe once a month. Depending how detailed you get I bet some could take several hours. There is no way you could compete with the engraved shells you can already buy. Plus no one wants to wait more than a few days to receive something ordered online.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:59 am

Here is a quick 20 minute attempt at my first customized shell. It's the logo of the crossover thrash band D.R.I. (Dirty Rotten Imbiciles). I just used an engraver free hand at work on a shell that had a hole on the bottom. A bit rough but has potential!Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:12 pm

This punk fan approves.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:38 pm

Thanks, I was thinking of starting with the Crab (Black) Flag logo,but figured that would be pretty easy. Maybe I'll try the Slayer pentagram logo on the weekend. I'd love to do the Exploited's mohawk skeleton but that will take some practice, and better precision tools. My ultimate goal is to do Motöhead's warpig on a shell! Hermit crab shells may be the very last item that Kiss did not try to market and sell, although I would never make them for two reasons, 1. I can't stand Kiss 2. I don't want to get a cease and desist from Gene Simmons although I would find it hysterical!