New shells!!

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

New shells!!

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:32 pm

Here are the new shells I got while on vacation. They are now boiled. Tomorrow I'll put them in the tank. But I have to take out the half buried shells in there now. I think they have pretty much buried half the shells. I have 18,19 in there.Image

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

piratetoothgir

Re: New shells!!

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:34 pm

Beautiful, great choices!
African Turbos (ones in far back) are less likely to be chosen, but there are some occasions when a crab will choose those. They are so pretty, but not the most popular for crabs to wear.

Sent from my IPA1489 using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:40 pm

stella wrote:Beautiful, great choices!
African Turbos (ones in far back) are less likely to be chosen, but there are some occasions when a crab will choose those. They are so pretty, but not the most popular for crabs to wear.

I did read that on here but mostly because of the weight. So who knows what a crab may like at any particular time. :)
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:43 pm

I really love the sea turtle carved turbos, I need some of those!

Crabber Since 2016

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:54 pm

What's the most popular shells names please I gave been reading up
.. just asking

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:15 pm

According the shell guide, Pertholatus, Banded and Spotted. I just bought some more banded and spotted turbos. I only have 1 spotted turbo and it’s a 1” opening. A bit too big. So I wanted to give my crabs a couple more options. As well as more banded turbos because the sizes I have are 1 1/4” openings. Buckbeak looked at the banded turbos I had so I wanted to give him a couple of banded turbos in his size to choose from.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:20 pm

Hermie escape artist wrote:

.. just asking

My crabs like pacific and natural turbos, but tapestries and and other turbos are usually well accepted.

Crabber Since 2016

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:20 pm

crabby33 wrote:According the shell guide, Pertholatus, Banded and Spotted. I just bought some more banded and spotted turbos. I only have 1 spotted turbo and it’s a 1” opening. A bit too big. So I wanted to give my crabs a couple more options. As well as more banded turbos because the sizes I have are 1 1/4” openings. Buckbeak looked at the banded turbos I had so I wanted to give him a couple of banded turbos in his size to choose from.
K ya I heard about turbos that what I was gonna go get some turbos....diff sizes didnt know if I should get maybe one other kind then turbos .... but the there is more then just turbos....? There is banded turbos ?

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:21 pm

Ok ... sounds good
stella wrote:
Hermie escape artist wrote:

.. just asking

My crabs like pacific and natural turbos, but tapestries and and other turbos are usually well accepted.

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:24 pm

Yes, there are banded turbos. I’ve found I like checking the shell guide for favorite shells.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:09 am

I really like the the ones with the sea turtles I never saw those before! Is that one on the right center a butterfly or palm tree? I never saw a butterfly before either. I usually just order my shells from Naples online.

Now I really wish I didn't buy an African Turbo like the ones pictured I could have spent that $15 on 3 or 4 more appropriate shells instead.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:39 pm

Motörcrab wrote:I really like the the ones with the sea turtles I never saw those before! Is that one on the right center a butterfly or palm tree? I never saw a butterfly before either. I usually just order my shells from Naples online.

Now I really wish I didn't buy an African Turbo like the ones pictured I could have spent that $15 on 3 or 4 more appropriate shells instead.
I would say that's a butterfly. I was in Myrtle Beach and went to a shell store. I know they may not use the African ones but they're so pretty. Lol. I wish I got more small/mediums. I thought I really had enough at home. I really don't. And there just isn't enough room to place enough large shells.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Shells are just like everything else. You think you have enough only to find out you need more or a different size. I must have place 3 orders for shells in the last month. The cost can add up pretty quickly with them too. Especially when you get up over 1" openings.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities