Help

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Help

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:11 pm

Hermie is molting and I need to buy shells for him asap .... I cant measure him cause he is under ? What do I do can I just buy like one or 2 med and large .... was gonna go to napels

Do they have med and large there or just opening inch sizes ... I was already on Naples reading alil and it said about measuring his biggest claw which I cant

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Help

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:43 pm

Do you need to buy a shell asap? Do you happen to know the size he is in now? If not, just wait for him to come back up and then just order the size you need.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:14 pm

Even if you have more shells you think are better for the crabs they don't always switch right away. We still waiting for some of our new guys to change into shells we purchased last week. Some of them tried them out but went right back to what they had.

If you have a similar size shell that a crab is not using you can always check with that shell and guesstimate what they crab may like. Unfortunately sometimes you can buy several shells and the thumb their noses at all of them no matter what you do.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:58 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Do you need to buy a shell asap? Do you happen to know the size he is in now? If not, just wait for him to come back up and then just order the size you need.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Looking on Naples now ... this is from an older post I have no shells his size all smaller cause someone e
At a store told me he was small but now I know he is not ....
So I was gonna try 1-2" ? And couple diff ones and maybe one or 2 bigger size .... took some pics of what I was looking at ... he is molting now ! And i have none been down about a week so far ImageImageImageImageImage

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:58 pm

Thanks !!! Looking ... put pics below ! Etc ...
Motörcrab wrote:Even if you have more shells you think are better for the crabs they don't always switch right away. We still waiting for some of our new guys to change into shells we purchased last week. Some of them tried them out but went right back to what they had.

If you have a similar size shell that a crab is not using you can always check with that shell and guesstimate what they crab may like. Unfortunately sometimes you can buy several shells and the thumb their noses at all of them no matter what you do.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:31 pm

We have had crabs go into both of those above shells in the past. Be sure you order from the Hermit Crab Section at Naples. You can choose what size opening for each shell!

here's a quick guide to help you a bit for shell openings for reference, (+/-} 16th:
bottle cap on a 20 oz Pepsi is 1-1/4"
quarter is 1"
nickel is 7/8"
penny is 3/4"
center hole on a PS4 game is 9/16"

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:31 pm

Motörcrab wrote:We have had crabs go into both of those above shells in the past. Be sure you order from the Hermit Crab Section at Naples. You can choose what size opening for each shell!

here's a quick guide to help you a bit for shell openings for reference, (+/-} 16th:
bottle cap on a 20 oz Pepsi is 1-1/4"
quarter is 1"
nickel is 7/8"
penny is 3/4"
center hole on a PS4 game is 9/16"
Yep I was looking in the wrong section.... im.in the hermit crab shells now .. so if I take a quarter or Pepsi cap ... am I matching that to his shell size or the opening to his shell size !!!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:40 pm

Match those sizes I gave for the shell opening. The shell size will be much larger like maybe 1-1/2 with a 1/2" opening. We had crabs go into the same size shells and also much bigger ones I wonder how they don't fall out. Just like some people like skinny jeans and others like them super baggy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:40 pm

Motörcrab wrote:Match those sizes I gave for the shell opening. The shell size will be much larger like maybe 1-1/2 with a 1/2" opening. We had crabs go into the same size shells and also much bigger ones I wonder how they don't fall out. Just like some people like skinny jeans and others like them super baggy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Lol ok Thank you so much !!!!