Page 1 of 1

New shell shop

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:48 pm
by Hermiesguardian
Since my crabs' favorite pastime is burying their somewhat costly shells, I decided to go back and use a shell shop. In the past they only used it to crawl through to the other side. I was sure they wouldn't find ot or care but tonight I actually saw one in there!! Yay!! They have to work at climbing in. I didn't make it very easy. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Re: New shell shop

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:14 pm
by fandt94
I need to do a hanging shop too...currently I have them all just on the sand in the corner because the shallow reptile dish I had them in just took up too much floor space. I’m constantly cleaning them out or like you mentioned, one crab of mine brings it behind the bark wall and buries them! I have some of the same pretty shells you have! Where did you get that cute bridge!?

Re: New shell shop

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:18 am
by ciaraalston
Hermiesguardian wrote:Since my crabs' favorite pastime is burying their somewhat costly shells, I decided to go back and use a shell shop. In the past they only used it to crawl through to the other side. I was sure they wouldn't find ot or care but tonight I actually saw one in there!! Yay!! They have to work at climbing in. I didn't make it very easy. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

i love it!!!

Re: New shell shop

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:52 am
by Hermiesguardian
fandt94 wrote:I need to do a hanging shop too...currently I have them all just on the sand in the corner because the shallow reptile dish I had them in just took up too much floor space. I’m constantly cleaning them out or like you mentioned, one crab of mine brings it behind the bark wall and buries them! I have some of the same pretty shells you have! Where did you get that cute bridge!?
I think I got the bridge at Michael's where they have items for doll hpuses. Or at petsmart. Lol.

Re: New shell shop

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:35 am
by LeeHasCrabs
Has anyone run into the problem with an elevated shell shop and crabs that won’t climb to the shop? I have been keeping my shells on the substrate but always wondered because only 1 of mine really climbs to the second level. Just curious.

Re: New shell shop

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:16 am
by fandt94
ApePlanet wrote:Has anyone run into the problem with an elevated shell shop and crabs that won’t climb to the shop? I have been keeping my shells on the substrate but always wondered because only 1 of mine really climbs to the second level. Just curious.
.

I was going to hang a shop also but like you, only 1 of my topside guys might use it so I nixed the idea for now and just have a corner with the shells on top of an coffee can plastic lid. I’m tired of cleaning shells lol. I also have some shells scattered throughout.

Re: New shell shop

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:29 am
by Hermiesguardian
ApePlanet wrote:Has anyone run into the problem with an elevated shell shop and crabs that won’t climb to the shop? I have been keeping my shells on the substrate but always wondered because only 1 of mine really climbs to the second level. Just curious.
I started with a shell shop in a plastic container on the ground. But they only seemed to go in as a way to get to the other side. (why did the crab walk over the shells? To frustrate their keeper) So I took them out of the container and placed them directly on the substrate. All of a sudden, lots of interest. BUT then they started burying the shells. And you can't unbury them because there may be a tunnel or cave underneath. They've done that with half the shells. At least a quarter. So I went back to the shell shop you see in the pics. I think 2 crabs have checked them out. And they get almost as dirty but not buried. Also so many shells take up alot of ground space.