Ideas for a shell shop and shells

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Ronbo0032

Ideas for a shell shop and shells

Post by Ronbo0032 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:11 pm

Hello everyone.
I'm on a major information overload. Researching shells for my PP's since I have none yet. Not sure where to purchased them either, as I mentioned major info overload. I used a caliber to quickly measure the shells before I put them in their new home.(the previous was the cage they were purchased in) The measurement was in decimal form so I'm going to try and figure it out. One of my PP's decided to go underground the second day in their new home. I feel bad for Maui, he has burrowed himself into a corner and doesn't come out much even to eat.

I'm trying to decide what to do about a shell shop, once I get around to ordering some. I have a 20 gal long so there isn't a lot of space for a second level with the 6" of substrate. I had to add a decline for their water pools which I take out to change. I already have a second level for a moss pit, so not much space left. Those who have shell shops, what do you use for your setup? I'll have to figure out how to post pictures again to aid in my dilemma.

fandt94

Re: Ideas for a shell shop and shells

Post by fandt94 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:42 pm

I feel your info overload....breathe. Don’t overthink it too much. The links in the shopping section on this site for shells are awesome...I’ve ordered from several including Naples, Richards and Hermit Crab Patch. I’ve ordered packages of various sizes and also individual sized shells. Take your time ordering. How big are your crabs would you say?

As for a shell shop...I’m limited on space too and am currently looking to get a bigger tank. Right now I literally have shells on the substrate scattered and then I used a plastic coffee can lid in a corner on the sand for additional shells...as a sort of *shop* so they’d get less dirty. I already have a 2nd level too...a small one and no room to add a 2nd level *shop*.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:14 am

i use a plastic pencil box with the lid taken off, before that i had a small basket from dollar tree. both have worked great and were on clearance. :)
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:50 am

Please type shell shop in the search bar. You will find there are already lots of threads on this topic :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com