Need help determining new shell size

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Gail

Need help determining new shell size

Post by Gail » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:27 pm

I just got this fellow and I need to buy some new shells in a hurry. I'm not quite sure what size he might need. I'm thinking 1.5? suggestions where I can find large, reasonably priced shells in the US would be great too. Thanks

2 PP's

fandt94

Re: Need help determining new shell size

Post by fandt94 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:40 pm

Very colorful! Try the shopping links on the left...Naples and Richards are great places to start....I’ve also bought from a few Etsy sellers as well with really good luck. I’m not a good judge really in sizing lol...I kind of just wing it :wink:
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
Gail

Post by Gail » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:43 pm

Thanks, I'll check the links. I did some looking and found a couple bigger shells, one is around 1.25 and he is checking it out now. Hopefully he'll switch and I can see how well it fits so I can order the right sizes.
2 PP's

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:50 pm

To me it looks as if that guys shell has about a 1" opening, give or take. I would say a shells between 1 1/8 & 1 1/4" openings would probably be best.

I have found decent shells on eBay although they are listed by size rather than opening size. You need to use the shell project chart to determine what you need.

Just find the shell type you are looking for, then use the chart. Just use the black line, the other colors and dots make it confusing.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 24&t=84333

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:21 pm

He’s helping you hold the tape measure! So cute!

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:31 pm

I agree with Motörcrab's sizes. Going from a Murex to a Turbo will give tons more interior space, so he won't need as huge of a shell as you might think.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Gail

Post by Gail » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:41 pm

He didn't move into the tapestry shell last night, was really hoping he would before he goes down.
I did order a couple new turbos, maybe he'll like one of them better. Thanks for help.
2 PP's

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:48 pm

I found that boiling the shells in saltwater and leaving a little inside the shell sometimes helps to entice them. Just be sure the shells and water are completely cool before putting them in the tank and be sure to use the same mix you use for their water, dechlorinated and Instant Ocean or similar. Not table salt.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:20 pm

Be careful when boiling with salt! It can remove the polish from finished shells. We've had people ruin pot-fulls of brand new additions by doing so.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:55 pm

I had no idea that happens! What exactly happens to the shell? I'm assuming the outer part of the shell turns white from the salt attacking the polished areas? I guessing that's why they recommend boiling for 2-3 minutes at most.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:07 pm

Yeah, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it's happened several times so I like to warn about it. I once sold a lot of shells to a guy a few years back and he sent me pictures after he had cleaned them, he had boiled all of them with instant ocean for about five minutes and they came out white, rough, and pitted on the outside and inside. For whatever reason it can strip the natural coating, it might even be a reaction between the pot and the sodium and the calcium.

I totally dunk shells in saltwater after they've boiled and cooled, I think it really helps get the crabs interested. And I have forgotten pots of shells on the stove and let them boil nearly dry so it shouldn't have to do with the length of time.