is my crabs current shell to small?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
rufeelinitnowmrkrabs

Post by rufeelinitnowmrkrabs » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:54 am

I noticed that his current one is getting a little snug. He has lots of variety and choices (6 extra shells, a few are in the photo)
But he just won’t move!
Maybe the shell sizes i have aren’t accurate enough?
Any shell tips would be appreciated!!
(He wasn’t too happy about this photo haha)
I also need to clean these shells because someone likes to bury them, getting them dirty

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
1 PP, crabbin’ since 2008!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: is my crabs current shell to small?

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:23 am

Hello! Crabs should be able to fully retract into their shell so that their big pincher is protecting them from predators.

Part of your issue is you don't have the correct shells for your crabby. Please check out the shell guide: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=92552

Here is the shopping resource guide for shell shops: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pa ... pping.html

Edit: I personally like to keep my shells off of the floor of the crabitat. Many crabbers, such as myself make what are called "shell shops" :) We put our shells into plastic baskets or shower caddies and put them on a second level in the crabitat. This way they are less likely to get buried. :)

The HCA recommends 3-5 shells per crab, but I personally recommend more. :) Who doesn't like more clothes? :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:26 am

Purple pinchers like the round turbo type shells and the one you have looks a little small for him. Maybe try 7/8” and 1” openings and sizes in between those also. Someone with more experience will probably have better advice for you on what sizes to get.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:31 am

You need to measure the size of the opening of the shell, not the entire shell. Also, IMO, it is best to purchase a digital caliper. :) I got mine off of Amazon for around $9
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
rufeelinitnowmrkrabs

Post by rufeelinitnowmrkrabs » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:42 pm

GotButterflies wrote:You need to measure the size of the opening of the shell, not the entire shell. Also, IMO, it is best to purchase a digital caliper. :) I got mine off of Amazon for around $9

yes! I have a measurement of the opening :) thank you! I’ll be sure to check it out!!

Topic author
rufeelinitnowmrkrabs

Post by rufeelinitnowmrkrabs » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:44 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:Purple pinchers like the round turbo type shells and the one you have looks a little small for him. Maybe try 7/8” and 1” openings and sizes in between those also. Someone with more experience will probably have better advice for you on what sizes to get.

Been looking around for turbos everywhere ! I guess I’m gonna have to order online and pay that high shipping rate! Grrr. But thank you for the rough estimate!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:34 pm

rufeelinitnowmrkrabs wrote:
Been looking around for turbos everywhere ! I guess I’m gonna have to order online and pay that high shipping rate! Grrr. But thank you for the rough estimate!! :)

I couldn’t find any in my area either. All of the ones in the pet stores are either painted or not even usable for hermit crabs. I have found one turbo shell in a pet store that my crabbies liked and it was really even too small for the one that picked it, but she wanted out of her painted shell. Another option is at craft stores they have the big bags of shells but I’ve only found a few out of the big bags that mine liked. I started with this off eBay...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1117681163

Once I got a rough estimate of the sizes I needed from the lot of 20 I got off eBay I started to get some prettier ones off Etsy and more from eBay. Mine really seem to like the green turbos but I got lucky and bought a bunch of smaller ones for my little guys from someone on this forum, if you check the classified adds they might have some more for sale on here. Like GotButterflies said the vernier caliper helped me bc I tend to overthink things and make them harder than they are. Once you get started you’ll get the hang of it, it just seems hard not knowing where to start when you don’t know what size they need to begin with. A lot of us made mistakes and bought shells that were way too big, if you get a shell that’s like $6-$8 for only one, it’s probably too big. Oh! Another good place to order turbo shells is Naples, I got a few from them and some scrap netting and the prices there are really good with shipping. I almost forgot about Naples.

Pacific turbo 7/8” for .75
http://naplesseashellcompany.com/pacifi ... hells.html

They have polished green turbo on sale for 2.00
http://naplesseashellcompany.com/polish ... crabs.html

Here is the link to the rounded openings so you can look at all of them
http://naplesseashellcompany.com/hermit ... nings.html

Topic author
rufeelinitnowmrkrabs

Post by rufeelinitnowmrkrabs » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:06 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:
rufeelinitnowmrkrabs wrote:

I couldn’t find any in my area either. All of the ones in the pet stores are either painted or not even usable for hermit crabs. I have found one turbo shell in a pet store that my crabbies liked and it was really even too small for the one that picked it, but she wanted out of her painted shell. Another option is at craft stores they have the big bags of shells but I’ve only found a few out of the big bags that mine liked. I started with this off eBay...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1117681163

Once I got a rough estimate of the sizes I needed from the lot of 20 I got off eBay I started to get some prettier ones off Etsy and more from eBay. Mine really seem to like the green turbos but I got lucky and bought a bunch of smaller ones for my little guys from someone on this forum, if you check the classified adds they might have some more for sale on here. Like GotButterflies said the vernier caliper helped me bc I tend to overthink things and make them harder than they are. Once you get started you’ll get the hang of it, it just seems hard not knowing where to start when you don’t know what size they need to begin with. A lot of us made mistakes and bought shells that were way too big, if you get a shell that’s like $6-$8 for only one, it’s probably too big. Oh! Another good place to order turbo shells is Naples, I got a few from them and some scrap netting and the prices there are really good with shipping. I almost forgot about Naples.

Pacific turbo 7/8” for .75
http://naplesseashellcompany.com/pacifi ... hells.html

They have polished green turbo on sale for 2.00
http://naplesseashellcompany.com/polish ... crabs.html

Here is the link to the rounded openings so you can look at all of them
http://naplesseashellcompany.com/hermit ... nings.html

Awhhh shucks!! Image thanks so much for all the resources and going to the effort of responding. Me and my crabby appreciate it! Cheers!! (But yes. My local Pet stores have turbos, but they’re unfortunately plastic :/) thanks a lot for everything ! xx

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:23 pm

No problem at all, I’m more than happy to help any way I can. I get so much help from everyone here, I like that I can try to help.

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:34 pm

Just a suggestion, if you're looking to save money you can usually get b grade turbos in bulk from etsy sellers. Just send them a message telling them they are for your hermit crabs and they'll make sure to pick out shells without any holes. My hermit crabs actually seem to prefer the beat up ones!