Shell Opinions

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.
Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Shell Opinions

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:34 pm

Hey everyone, I had a few questions about shells and would love your opinions and experiences on them.

1) About how many empty shells do you keep in your tank for your crabs to pick from?

2) Do you use a shell shop or put the shells on the substrate?

3) If a shell shop do you manually rotate the shells (bottom to top, top to bottom)?

4) Also, if a shell shop, do you have the shop on the substrate or is it elevated like a second level is?

Thanks in advance! Just trying to get ideas!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Shell Opinions

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:44 pm

LeeHasCrabs wrote:Hey everyone, I had a few questions about shells and would love your opinions and experiences on them.

1) About how many empty shells do you keep in your tank for your crabs to pick from?

2) Do you use a shell shop or put the shells on the substrate?

3) If a shell shop do you manually rotate the shells (bottom to top, top to bottom)?

4) Also, if a shell shop, do you have the shop on the substrate or is it elevated like a second level is?

Thanks in advance! Just trying to get ideas!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's recommended 3-5 shells per crab. Doesn't hurt to have more.
I started with shells on the ground. But they got so dirty and the crabs bury them! So I tried a shell shop on the ground. They seemed to just walk through to the other side. So I put some on 2nd level. And the rest on the ground again. Much more interest. I just have to clean them more often and consider the buried lost. Unless they actually pick shells that are buried. Lol.
I just have them scattered around.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Shell Opinions

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:06 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
LeeHasCrabs wrote:Hey everyone, I had a few questions about shells and would love your opinions and experiences on them.

1) About how many empty shells do you keep in your tank for your crabs to pick from?

2) Do you use a shell shop or put the shells on the substrate?

3) If a shell shop do you manually rotate the shells (bottom to top, top to bottom)?

4) Also, if a shell shop, do you have the shop on the substrate or is it elevated like a second level is?

Thanks in advance! Just trying to get ideas!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's recommended 3-5 shells per crab. Doesn't hurt to have more.
I started with shells on the ground. But they got so dirty and the crabs bury them! So I tried a shell shop on the ground. They seemed to just walk through to the other side. So I put some on 2nd level. And the rest on the ground again. Much more interest. I just have to clean them more often and consider the buried lost. Unless they actually pick shells that are buried. Lol.
I just have them scattered around.
So you tried having them on a second-level shop but found they are more likely to shop and swap when they’re on the substrate?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Shell Opinions

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:50 am

I also ask because I’m anxious for my crabs to pick new shells. I have 5 crabs and 3 of them have the same natural green turbo shell and I can’t tell them apart! LOL


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Shell Opinions

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:16 am

LeeHasCrabs wrote:I also ask because I’m anxious for my crabs to pick new shells. I have 5 crabs and 3 of them have the same natural green turbo shell and I can’t tell them apart! LOL


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, once they start swapping you'll never tell them apart. I wish there was a way but there's not. Unless you have only 2 crabs, different sizes. Just the life of a crabby parent.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Shell Opinions

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:07 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
LeeHasCrabs wrote:I also ask because I’m anxious for my crabs to pick new shells. I have 5 crabs and 3 of them have the same natural green turbo shell and I can’t tell them apart! LOL


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, once they start swapping you'll never tell them apart. I wish there was a way but there's not. Unless you have only 2 crabs, different sizes. Just the life of a crabby parent.
I realize that lol. Every crab is different. I see a bunch of folks on here calling their crabs by name and I can’t tell who’s who. LOL.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Shell Opinions

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:39 am

LeeHasCrabs wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote:
LeeHasCrabs wrote:Hey everyone, I had a few questions about shells and would love your opinions and experiences on them.

1) About how many empty shells do you keep in your tank for your crabs to pick from?

2) Do you use a shell shop or put the shells on the substrate?

3) If a shell shop do you manually rotate the shells (bottom to top, top to bottom)?

4) Also, if a shell shop, do you have the shop on the substrate or is it elevated like a second level is?

Thanks in advance! Just trying to get ideas!

So you tried having them on a second-level shop but found they are more likely to shop and swap when they’re on the substrate?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes but others may have experienced something different.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Shell Opinions

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:41 am

LeeHasCrabs wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote:
LeeHasCrabs wrote:I also ask because I’m anxious for my crabs to pick new shells. I have 5 crabs and 3 of them have the same natural green turbo shell and I can’t tell them apart! LOL


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, once they start swapping you'll never tell them apart. I wish there was a way but there's not. Unless you have only 2 crabs, different sizes. Just the life of a crabby parent.
I realize that lol. Every crab is different. I see a bunch of folks on here calling their crabs by name and I can’t tell who’s who. LOL.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe it's wishful thinking on their part. Lol. I think it's sad because we love them and can't handle them, at least we should be able to call them by name.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

Motörcrab
Posts: 1132
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:56 pm
Location: Coal Region in Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Shell Opinions

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:15 pm

I have 12 or so shells for my 8 crabs. I think that number is ok for more crabs. I figure all 8 won't shop around at the same time. They will now that I said that. If I did the 3-5 shells per crab that would be 24-40 shells in the tank! There would be no room for anything else.

Every few weeks I will rinse them out in saltwater and move them around.

I thought about doing a shell shop in a large shower caddy so they stay clean. But with all my guys needing 1 1/8" openings and up that doesn't leave much room for many shells.

The other day I put them on my fish net second story. So far they haven't had any interest in them yet. I don't think they know where they are yet.
Help Improve Our Resources Section (weblinks)
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=119315

Once we get more links the directors will update the resources in a few weeks. Thanks!

User avatar

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Shell Opinions

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:31 pm

I had mine up top in my moss pit and they had more interest in them up there than they do now on the ground. I guess it's good to switch it up once in a while to help them explore and make it new for them. I just ordered a bunch of shells so I'm hoping I get some usable ones this time.

User avatar

Xenocrab
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Shell Opinions

Post by Xenocrab » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:26 pm

I always have 20+ shells of different sizes in my 30 gal tank. I soak them in salt water and the crabs always act like they are new! Something about the salt water attracts the crabs to them. My isopods use them as shelter much to my dismay!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
5 store bought, 6 rescues and 7 adopted.


crabby33
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:24 pm

Re: Shell Opinions

Post by crabby33 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:04 am

I have striped turbos but they’re not favorites with my crabs, neither are spotted turbos. My guys are content with the shells they have on: a fluctuosus (a normal shell choice for a PP) and an oddball, an apple murex. They’re both molting right now so that could change in a few weeks when they’ve both come up.

Post Reply