Pica Shell or Not?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
BlookittiePC

Pica Shell or Not?

Post by BlookittiePC » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:53 pm

I was Christmas shopping for my crabbies on Naples, and I came across a beautiful banded Pica shell that's just the right size range for my two purple pinchers. But for one shell it costs eight and a half dollars! I read around and concluded that although turbos are preferred in captivity, Picas are commonly worn in the wild. My question is would a shell that they may or may not wear be worth eight and a half dollars? I found a wonderful arrangement of ten shells (the pica included) that cost just over thirty dollars. Should I not get the pica and spend the money on a shell that I'm sure my crabs will wear or take a chance and get the pica? Or would it be better to wait and buy it later?
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Pica Shell or Not?

Post by wodesorel » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:01 pm

In 10 years and probably 100 crabs, I have only ever had two larger crabs wear a pica for any length of time. Tiny crabs under the size of a quarter often cycle through them.

If you have average size crabs, I strongly recommend Striped (Fluctuosus) turbos, and Tapestry (Petholatus) Turbos. At one point all 60 some of my hermits I had at the time were in one or the other. They are the best investment!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
BlookittiePC

Post by BlookittiePC » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:13 pm

Thank you for the advice! My crabs do prefer striped and tapestry turbos! I'll be sure to save this order for the future though, it's such a nice shell!
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:11 am

I have two crabs also. The smallest of the two actually did wear a magpie, but not for very long. She is now in a murex and will only wear those shells. I ordered a couple of Endive murex shells in her size range from Richard’s. I’m hoping she will take one of them when they come in. The bigger of the two is in a Fluctuosus.