3d printer shell

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Leocoya

3d printer shell

Post by Leocoya » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:31 am

It's ok that make a shell with 3D printer?

Hermiesguardian

Re: 3d printer shell

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:51 am

Wow. I don't know but that's a great idea. My husband wants to know what software would you use.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:03 am

Yes, but use ABS - PLA can dissolve due to it being corn based, and in a high moister environment, you want it to last (reef forums are a great read for this).

Remember to also include natural shells as well, since the crabs may not take it the printed shells!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:04 am

Not for hermit crabs, no.

If calcium carbonate shells that were as hard as the snail shells they currently wear could be 3D printed, then perhaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:36 am

There was a campaign several years ago that used Ecuadorian hermit crabs and scanned the natural modified shells that they prefer to wear, and those crabs did actually take and wear the 3D printed ones over natural ones. However, it's been the only case I've seen where that has happened. For species that use intact shells, nothing comes close to the real thing - so far. I think it would be wonderful to experiment with if you have the time and ability!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:35 am

wodesorel wrote:There was a campaign several years ago that used Ecuadorian hermit crabs and scanned the natural modified shells that they prefer to wear, and those crabs did actually take and wear the 3D printed ones over natural ones. However, it's been the only case I've seen where that has happened. For species that use intact shells, nothing comes close to the real thing - so far. I think it would be wonderful to experiment with if you have the time and ability!

I know one company did it with potato starch, is that the same project?

SamanthaFax

Post by SamanthaFax » Fri May 13, 2022 3:24 am

In my company we have a 3D printer, but I've never tried to render a shell with it. But thanks for the idea anyway. Once I managed to fix my gmail, I will write to my boss and try to experiment on that.

myllkti

Post by myllkti » Fri May 13, 2022 9:50 am

lunneate wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 4:33 am
Guys, and why would you waste time and money on printing a shell on the printer? I guess if you want to buy a present to someone, better buy a live crab, no?
It’s not a super great idea to buy live pets as presents just in general, especially as a surprise. You don’t know if they have the time/materials to compensate for the extra animal, or if they want it at that point in their life, or if they want it ever at all. You might know some of this, but you still don’t really know the full story unless you have a serious discussion first, or the pet of any species might end up just being in a situation without proper care as the owner struggles to find a new home for it
Mere, Elie, and Syd!

Started selling hermit food 👀 - https://myheartmadestudio.etsy.com/

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Fri May 13, 2022 11:25 am

This thread is two years old. I am locking it to keep things on topic.