Broken Shell! What To Do?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Foxy

Broken Shell! What To Do?

Post by Foxy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:50 pm

One of my hermit crabs has a broken shell, you can see his squishy body through it and he gets his eco-earth bedding in there & it's really worrying me. I've put other shells in there for him to change into but so far he's just sticking with his broken home - ugh!! I want to get him out of there, the hole scares me & I'm afraid he'll cut himself and get a terrible infection or something.

Has anyone ever seen this? Is it even safe for him to stay in it anymore? I hate picking him up now, as I'm so afraid to accidentally touch/injure his delicate bits :crybaby:

Topic author
Foxy

Re: Broken Shell! What To Do?

Post by Foxy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:43 am

Please guys, help?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:18 pm

I've had Es with holey shells. They change when they want to change and no sooner. Make sure the shells you're offering are the right type, if you post a picture we can double check for you!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:00 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:18 pm
I've had Es with holey shells. They change when they want to change and no sooner. Make sure the shells you're offering are the right type, if you post a picture we can double check for you!
Another good tip is to offer shells similar to the one that he is wearing, whereas he is more likely to change.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies