What sizes shell should I get next.

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
angelbearpuppy

What sizes shell should I get next.

Post by angelbearpuppy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:10 pm

My largest hermit crab is in the biggest shell I own. So now I know I need to get something bigger. I am unsure what size i should get next so I figured I would ask. He would be a medium I think as he is bigger than a quarter.

I know I have a little time but I want to be prepared. He is an E. If that helps.

I never have bought shells online before so I wabt to get what advice I can.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

Motörcrab

Re: What sizes shell should I get next.

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:12 pm

Trying to judge the opening from the pics is a bit difficult. I am guessing he is currently in about a 5/8 opening size now. I personally would buy 2-3 shells that have 3/4" opening and another 2-3 shells with 7/8" openings. That way they have several options in each size.

We have always had luck with our guys changing giving options 1/8"-1/4" larger than what they are currently wearing. It still comes down to the particular crab and what he wants to do.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:19 pm

I just noticed you said he is an E. Good luck. They are know to wear tight fitting shells and are extremely picky. Go to the caresheet, guides, and FAQ's area and read over the guideline about E's.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:23 pm

E's generally don't change shells often and mine likes to choose shells that I think are too small. He is very picky. Follow the care sheets and try soaking shells in salt water before adding them to the tank. They are attracted to shells dipped in salt water.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:11 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:12 pm
Trying to judge the opening from the pics is a bit difficult. I am guessing he is currently in about a 5/8 opening size now. I personally would buy 2-3 shells that have 3/4" opening and another 2-3 shells with 7/8" openings. That way they have several options in each size.

We have always had luck with our guys changing giving options 1/8"-1/4" larger than what they are currently wearing. It still comes down to the particular crab and what he wants to do.
Thanks for the advice. I know the pictures are not the best with my cell phone camera I tried.

Topic author
angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:11 pm

Xenocrab wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:23 pm
E's generally don't change shells often and mine likes to choose shells that I think are too small. He is very picky. Follow the care sheets and try soaking shells in salt water before adding them to the tank. They are attracted to shells dipped in salt water.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I will remember the salt water. I know it might be a while before he chances, but I want the options now, so I don't have to worry about it later.