giant whale/shark eye shell??

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

giant whale/shark eye shell??

Post by IsolatedShadow » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:04 pm

So, i got a shell that looks similar to a whale or shark eye shell. It has various cracks and stuff, but it still retains water completely. But it also has like, leftover stuff from i guess Barnacles that were forming on it??? Is the shell still good to use as a potential shell or should it just be used as a Tank decoration?
New owner to 8 hermits, two of them belong to my aunt (and some of the others we both own). Hermits from smallest to largest: Dwebble, McShelldon, Crustle, Piggy, Sharkie, Lint. Snappy.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: giant whale/shark eye shell??

Post by curlysister » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:34 pm

It still has leftover gunk, even after boiling it ?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:18 am

curlysister wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:34 pm
It still has leftover gunk, even after boiling it ?
Didn't boil the shell yet. I did rinse some dust and such off of it yesterday. Its retains water completely, despite the wear on the outside of the shell. I'll see if i can boil the shell today. Also, how will i go about sharing a picture from my computer or android phone? I want to show a picture to help show the wear/visible damage on the shell. It has chips and cracks on it, and I was wondering if those would deter a crab from wearing it.
New owner to 8 hermits, two of them belong to my aunt (and some of the others we both own). Hermits from smallest to largest: Dwebble, McShelldon, Crustle, Piggy, Sharkie, Lint. Snappy.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:16 am

IsolatedShadow wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:18 am
Didn't boil the shell yet. I did rinse some dust and such off of it yesterday. Its retains water completely, despite the wear on the outside of the shell. I'll see if i can boil the shell today. Also, how will i go about sharing a picture from my computer or android phone? I want to show a picture to help show the wear/visible damage on the shell. It has chips and cracks on it, and I was wondering if those would deter a crab from wearing it.
From your phone you can post pics using the app Tapatalk.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:41 pm

This is the shell its pretty big and old. Has leftover barnacles or something on it and a few chips and cracks. But it still holds water completely. Do you think a crab would take to it?ImageImage

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:23 pm

It's not the preferred type of shell most crabs like.

Before I developed my shell collections, that type of shell was the largest I had, and only option for 1". One of my crabs switched to it, until I got new tapestries and jade turbos that they Definetely liked better.

No harm in offering it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:26 pm

Scarletfire wrote:It's not the preferred type of shell most crabs like.

Before I developed my shell collections, that type of shell was the largest I had, and only option for 1". One of my crabs switched to it, until I got new tapestries and jade turbos that they Definetely liked better.

No harm in offering it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Yeah. I was hoping it would be a fun shell to offer, at least. Thanks for your advice!

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:02 pm

You can offer it, but considering how small and tucked in the coil is a hermit crab may have trouble fitting inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:07 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:02 pm
You can offer it, but considering how small and tucked in the coil is a hermit crab may have trouble fitting inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay! I thought it could be used if i ever found a giant Ecudadorian lol. I'll probs just put it in as a tank decoration then. if someone takes it though, thats fine too.