Cannot find the right size

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.
Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2987
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Cannot find the right size

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:24 am

I have checked Ebay, Etsy, Amazon and direct websites. I cannot find shells with 1.5 inch openings. I recently got shells with 1 3/4 openings. Too large. I don't know what to do.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

CrabbyLover77
Posts: 1409
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:30 pm
Location: PA

Re: Cannot find the right size

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:27 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:I have checked Ebay, Etsy, Amazon and direct websites. I cannot find shells with 1.5 inch openings. I recently got shells with 1 3/4 openings. Too large. I don't know what to do.
Try Naples. I just did a quick look and they have a 1 1/2" opening African turbo shell for $15. Hope this helps!ImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar

Topic author
Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2987
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Cannot find the right size

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:37 am

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:27 am
Try Naples. I just did a quick look and they have a 1 1/2" opening African turbo shell for $15. Hope this helps!ImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Thank you. I have a couple of those (smaller) and have never seen any of my crabs try those. And since I have read that they are not preferred by crabs, I wont buy anymore. But I really appreciate you looking.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

CrabbyLover77
Posts: 1409
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:30 pm
Location: PA

Re: Cannot find the right size

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:53 am

You're welcome. I definitely understand that crabs can be picky with their pajamas. Naples also has a black murex shell with 1 1/2" opening. Not sure about your crabs, but mine never seem to be fond of murex shells. I'll keep my eye out online for you.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar

Topic author
Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2987
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Cannot find the right size

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:55 am

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:53 am
You're welcome. I definitely understand that crabs can be picky with their pajamas. Image Naples also has a black murex shell with 1 1/2" opening. Not sure about your crabs, but mine never seem to be fond of murex shells. I'll keep my eye out online for you.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Thank you!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

CrabbyLover77
Posts: 1409
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:30 pm
Location: PA

Re: Cannot find the right size

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:22 am

https://www.etsy.com/listing/751427909/ ... allery-1-7

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar

CrabbyLover77
Posts: 1409
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:30 pm
Location: PA

Re: Cannot find the right size

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:27 am

https://www.etsy.com/listing/265069490/ ... 1-19&frs=1

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar

CrabbyLover77
Posts: 1409
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:30 pm
Location: PA

Re: Cannot find the right size

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:28 am

https://www.etsy.com/listing/756454673/ ... llery-1-21

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw


Moe2076
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:06 pm
Location: West TN

Re: Cannot find the right size

Post by Moe2076 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:45 pm

I don't have a direct answer and I'm not quite to 1.5 inches yet, but I have a couple who may be in the future. I just ordered a bunch of shells yesterday. I am trying to establish a good supply. I will try to take some time when they come in to measure and take pictures. As someone who has just started in September I am trying to discover and collect as many good quality of various sizes as cost effectively as possible.

I found the etsy shop and discovered that it has a bunch of other vendors and placed orders form 3 different vendors, one of them was Richards.

Shells that I have ordered in the past came from different Amazon vendors and some of them were fairly large that came in a pack measures and realizes just how big 1.5 opening is... I got a bunch of 1 inch ones and they are all a little big still.

Let us know where you find them.
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

User avatar

Topic author
Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2987
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Cannot find the right size

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:04 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:27 am
https://www.etsy.com/listing/265069490/ ... 1-19&frs=1

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
I got these. Thanks!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

Topic author
Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2987
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Cannot find the right size

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:07 pm

Moe2076 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:45 pm
I don't have a direct answer and I'm not quite to 1.5 inches yet, but I have a couple who may be in the future. I just ordered a bunch of shells yesterday. I am trying to establish a good supply. I will try to take some time when they come in to measure and take pictures. As someone who has just started in September I am trying to discover and collect as many good quality of various sizes as cost effectively as possible.

I found the etsy shop and discovered that it has a bunch of other vendors and placed orders form 3 different vendors, one of them was Richards.

Shells that I have ordered in the past came from different Amazon vendors and some of them were fairly large that came in a pack measures and realizes just how big 1.5 opening is... I got a bunch of 1 inch ones and they are all a little big still.

Let us know where you find them.
It's like shopping for shoes. Every size except yours is available. Lol
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

CrabbyLover77
Posts: 1409
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:30 pm
Location: PA

Re: Cannot find the right size

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:08 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote: I got these. Thanks!
Yay! Hope they work out for ya! Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw


Moe2076
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:06 pm
Location: West TN

Re: Cannot find the right size

Post by Moe2076 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:14 pm

OOO those are pretty ! Glad you found some!
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

User avatar

Topic author
Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2987
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Cannot find the right size

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:29 pm

The shells I ordered were actually too big. I need 1 5/8. Not 1 3/4. And of course I cannot find any. Checked etsy, ebay, amazon. I wish I could go to the coast where they have a shell shop. I will be in the late summer. I will be stocking up.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

CrabbyLover77
Posts: 1409
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:30 pm
Location: PA

Re: Cannot find the right size

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:40 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:The shells I ordered were actually too big. I need 1 5/8. Not 1 3/4. And of course I cannot find any. Checked etsy, ebay, amazon. I wish I could go to the coast where they have a shell shop. I will be in the late summer. I will be stocking up.
Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

Post Reply