Something Intresting

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Links

Re: Something Intresting

Post by Links » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:32 am

I’ve also heard stories of them pilling up on top of each other to get some kind of food up high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:34 am

I’ve seen a similar video of them making a chain and changing like that, it’s rly so cool. They’re just such amazing creatures. I have two in my 55 that keep changing only to go back to their original shells, I’ve had them since August. It’s always made me wonder what makes a certain shell that perfect shell. Even buying shells I think “oh this one is perfect” and they pick the most unlikely one. I wish sometimes I could ask them to try shells on. Lol!

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:55 am

It is amazing!
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:30 pm

Alright put my shells back in this would be about the 4th Friday since doing this.

Its been about 30 minutes and after tjey deemed it was safe. My E is already activly exploring and checking out all new shells. No sign of my PPs but they usially come out about an hour after my E does.

Sent from my LML414DL using Tapatalk

Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
Proud mama of 2 shell babies:
1 e, and 1pp

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:32 am

Since last night, I have had one of my PPs activly seak ojt and try just about every shell in its size range. We are up to about 8 to 9 times it has continued into the morning. This one ib paricular now seems to be going bacl and forth between their original and a green turbo. My E switched once but then went back into his old green turbo. I have not caught sight of my two smaller PPs but I have a feeling they are molting. There was alot if activity with food and water dishes early into the week so I probably won't see them for a while.
Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
1 e, and 1pp

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:03 pm

Alright Week 4.

I have been doing this for a month now. So far no one seems to show signs of aggression. My medium PP changed shells after expecting about 10. My E inspectrd and tried on a shell but switched back. The two smaller ones tend to cone out at night and showed no intrest. Loke I said I am pretty sure thet are gping to go dowb and molt. All crabs seem active and healthy as far as I can tell. Eatting pooping and sleeping cuddled up under one of the branches in the tank.
1 e, and 1pp

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:09 pm

I really like this idea. I'm going to start. With the minimal amount of shells I have that AREN'T buried. Ugh. Maybe they'll dig up some shells. So, once a week you put them back in? For how long?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:36 pm

My current experiment I have running is:
Put shells in 3-5 per crab Friday night when I feed them. Remove them Sunday Morning when I remove fresh food. This gives them roughly a 48 hour period to explorenand interact with the shells. I have been documenting it here every Friday and Sunday.

I have 4 crabs 1 E and 3 PP
2 medium 2 small about although one of my mediums looks like they are approaching large size.

I am intrested in having others try it and list the crab amounts and sizes. We need more information from varied sized colonies.

So if intrested please let me know. I might start a new thred just to organize it a bit better if this is the case.
1 e, and 1pp

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:38 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:I really like this idea. I'm going to start. With the minimal amount of shells I have that AREN'T buried. Ugh. Maybe they'll dig up some shells. So, once a week you put them back in? For how long?
So yes please let me know. Sorry for bacl to back posts I primarily use my phone. And sometimes I hit send by accident lol.

1 e, and 1pp

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:40 pm

angelbear wrote:I know not all crabs need to always change there shell, the fact thet havent could very well be they are comfrotable or there is surplus so they do not worry about it. It is something intresting to think on.

Though i do agree a singleton would be the best to try it with, a small colony is as well. So wencan get feedback on a varriety of situations.

That's an interesting thought. That if there is a surplus of shells, the crabs don't change as often because they are not worried about growing and having no shells available after a molt.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:47 pm

Maddamay32 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:40 pm
That's an interesting thought. That if there is a surplus of shells, the crabs don't change as often because they are not worried about growing and having no shells available after a molt.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk
That was the reason I started this little idea. I have been keeping track of activity levels and the way they intereact with eachother when I observe it. I did use a old cell phone for recording when I wasnt there the first couple of days. But once I got over the first two weeks I relaxed a little although I still keep watch. I am more intrested now if this is a fluke with my small colony or can be a long term thing. Why I am intrested in seeing if others might give it a shot. I figure I I can make it a year and others have some sucusess then we might be on to something.
1 e, and 1pp

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:50 pm

I am moving this discussion to a new made thread found here: The Shell Removal Experiment so that the introduction post and people participating will be easier to keep track of. I am afraid that as time goes if the topic gets bigger some information might be lost.
1 e, and 1pp