Should I get rid of these shells?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Julsie

Should I get rid of these shells?

Post by Julsie » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:13 am

So I went on a shopping spree and purchased around 50-60 shells for my 10 crabs and all of them immediately switched shells except 1 out of my 2 larger crabs. I have 2 for sure (maybe 3) large crabs and I bought 1 polished pearl green jade banded turbo shell 2” - 2 1/2”. Before I purchased my last 2 crabs all my crabs were small/med besides the 1 large one and he didn’t even check any shells out. I just rescued 2 large crabs from horrible conditions and they both changed shells immediately. They were in the “fancy” shells not painted ones but the decorative ones. The larger one out of the 2 I bought checked out the green jade banded turbo and changed shells into something different. Is the shell maybe too heavy for them and they don’t like it? They seem to prefer these tapestry looking turbos instead of the gold mouth/silver/green turbos. So looks like i’ll have to order more larger tapestry shells for the other 3 big ones? Even though the 2 out of the 3 changed shells more than once I still don’t think they prefer the shells they are in and would rather be in them vs. the decorative shells they came in. So to sell these or keep them as extra? I don’t wanna overcrowd on too many shells especially shells they don’t favor. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meg'sAussieCrabitat

Re: Should I get rid of these shells?

Post by Meg'sAussieCrabitat » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:36 am

If you do get rid of them, you could sell them to someone else online. I'm sure many crabbies would gladly take in your unwanted shells!
Last edited by Meg'sAussieCrabitat on Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5th year of crabbing with my 6 Aussies; Lily, Cocoa, Belladonna, Acorn, and Mango in a 65-gallon crabitat.
Also an owner of beautiful Sussex chickens; Adelaide, and Marshmallow, and my cat, Bluebell.

Links

Post by Links » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:19 am

I wonder if they prefer the tapestry because they’re lighter. I briefly tried grinding down (wearing a mask) a green turbo and it can be done I just need the time to do it.

angelbear

Post by angelbear » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:05 am

It could be. Mine like green turbo maybe it is preferance
Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
Proud mama of 2 shell babies:
1 e, and 1pp

Links

Post by Links » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:12 am

Could it be sort of like a fad maybe they want to be like the crab that does it first like a fad you better start dressing like all the cool kids

angelbear

Post by angelbear » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:24 am

I think some has to do with weight. Some the space they can sit in confrotably. Also if they develope a taste of a specific shell others may not use it would makes less competition.
Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
Proud mama of 2 shell babies:
1 e, and 1pp

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:51 am

Most of our Purples, and Straws seem to prefer the tapestry over all other shell types. It is probably a 6 to 1 ratio! Crabs only know what they want in a shell. Like angelbear said. It is weight. They also check the opening size and inside of the shell. I watched a crab check out one shell for 45 minutes! Only to walk away and not pick it.
To us a shell is ok as long as the opening is correct. To a crab it is their home indefinitely.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:14 am

Looks like I might be selling all of the unwanted shells after I purchase more tapestry shells lol

Links

Post by Links » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:42 am

I’m thinking about throwing in random shells they don’t use once in a while just to keep them interested. If that’s even a thing.

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:06 am

Links wrote:I’m thinking about throwing in random shells they don’t use once in a while just to keep them interested. If that’s even a thing.

You should! They love options. You may or may not have seen my silly Corn in her ginormous Fox shell- I honestly didn’t think anyone was ready for that one but she clearly loves it. You literally never know!!
Mine seem to love tapestry turbos, and turbos with the band as well as the pearlized shells- especially my largest ones. They love the pearlized I think bc they still get their fav turbo, but without all the weight!
@Julsie- there are a couple diff places you can also donate shells like that to be put back on the beach for other wild crabbies! Just something to consider!

Phoebe21

Post by Phoebe21 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:45 pm

I would definitely buy !!! Throw a price ive been looking for good shells for my babies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:01 pm

Look for fluctuosus aka Striped Turbos. All of my purple pinchers have always been in those or Tapestries, split about 50:50.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram