Is this the next size up?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
aslansgirl89

Is this the next size up?

Post by aslansgirl89 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:36 pm

So I noticed recently that everyone is outgrowing their shells and I have been looking for some that will fit them but I have been having trouble finding any. So recently I bought some off of Naples after measuring the openings and I thought that they would be a good size but when I finally got them and boiled them yesterday, they looked somewhat big... I don't know if there's a size in between or not though because the ones they are currently in are 1" and the upgrades are 1⅛". Thoughts? Here are some pictures of them all the way in their shells (had to convince them to go in because they are so friendly!) as well as next to the new ones. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Xenocrab

Re: Is this the next size up?

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:54 pm

They will pick what they want! They may change pants a few times! Be patient and observe!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:56 pm

Check this guy out too! We got a lot of quality shells from him! I personally recommend him! My crabs are wearing a lot of the shells we got from himImage

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
aslansgirl89

Post by aslansgirl89 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:14 pm

Xenocrab wrote:They will pick what they want! They may change pants a few times! Be patient and observe!

Well, patience paid off and after 6 months and a molt, both Kaladin and Shallan have decided to have a go at the giant shells! They both fit way back into them but I guess that means they will be in them for a long while! Also, they are both friendly enough that it was hard to get a good picture of them actually curled all the way in their shells so you will just have to trust me when I tell you that the shells are comically big on them right now...especially Shallan's! Lol! ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:20 pm

That type of green turbo has an odd opening shape and is terribly heavy compared to other species. Most PPs won't like them. If you order again, try fluctuosus turbos, sometimes sold as striped or Mexican. They can be polished or unpolished, but are much lighter and the crabs really love them!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
aslansgirl89

Post by aslansgirl89 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:33 pm

wodesorel wrote:That type of green turbo has an odd opening shape and is terribly heavy compared to other species. Most PPs won't like them. If you order again, try fluctuosus turbos, sometimes sold as striped or Mexican. They can be polished or unpolished, but are much lighter and the crabs really love them!
Yeah, I put her back in the tank after the picture, left her alone, and when I checked back this morning she had switched back to her old one. I was actually surprised that she had switched to that one because it did seem awful big for her. What is the name of the one Kaladin is in? The white with brown spots? He's been in that for a couple of weeks now.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:51 pm

It's a type of Babylonia shell, sold as Bai.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
aslansgirl89

Post by aslansgirl89 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:37 pm

wodesorel wrote:That type of green turbo has an odd opening shape and is terribly heavy compared to other species. Most PPs won't like them. If you order again, try fluctuosus turbos, sometimes sold as striped or Mexican. They can be polished or unpolished, but are much lighter and the crabs really love them!
I got some of the ones that you suggested, boiled them this morning, and I just put them in the tank and boom! Here's the compulsive shell shopper on them in literally 2 minutes! (Off in the bottom left corner. In the first one, you can actually see her but in the second one her head is all the way in the new shell! Lol!) ImageImage

Topic author
aslansgirl89

Post by aslansgirl89 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:39 pm

aslansgirl89 wrote:I got some of the ones that you suggested, boiled them this morning, and I just put them in the tank and boom! Here's the compulsive shell shopper on them in literally 2 minutes! (Off in the bottom left corner. In the first one, you can actually see her but in the second one her head is all the way in the new shell! Lol!) ImageImage

And literally in the time it took me to write this post, she changed! Less than 5 minutes after putting the new shells in and she's already switched! This crab is so funny! Image