Next size up...

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
RAHermits

Next size up...

Post by RAHermits » Sun May 03, 2020 7:01 pm

Hey all!

Shells are so confusing to me. I'm looking to order from Naples, but can't figure out how exactly shell sizes work. I've never ordered shells online before. I measured one of my guys shells and it looks like it's .80" inside dimensions. What exactly would the next size up be?

Thank you!

Motörcrab

Re: Next size up...

Post by Motörcrab » Sun May 03, 2020 7:33 pm

.80" works out to about 13/16". Basically between 3/4 (.75") and 7/8" (.875").

7/8" would probably be the next full size that would be avaliable. About 1/16 larger than your shell.
1" opening would be the next one after that.
Either of those would probably work for your crab.

It takes some practice to get good at measuring shells. Everyone measures slightly different. With our crabs most crabs in shells at 1-1/4" and under seem to be ok with changing is 1/8 increments. Some will jump 1/4" sizes. Every crab chooses differently so it's impossible to say for sure.

Some places call out shells down to 1/32 even 1/64. I personally think sorting shells to 1/8" is fine. Dealing with megalopa and captive bred is a different story. Then you need to be more critical.

It's kinda like what Carpenters say? Measure twice, cut once. The same applies for ordering shells. Measure 10 times and hopefully order once! I'm a bad carpenter so I have to cut two or three times anyway!

Also if you Google "fraction to decimal graph" in images that is an ideal cheat sheet for reference. Most tape measures will measure down to 1/8 increments, some down to 1/16".
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
RAHermits

Post by RAHermits » Mon May 04, 2020 9:23 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:33 pm
.80" works out to about 13/16". Basically between 3/4 (.75") and 7/8" (.875").

7/8" would probably be the next full size that would be avaliable. About 1/16 larger than your shell.
1" opening would be the next one after that.
Either of those would probably work for your crab.

It takes some practice to get good at measuring shells. Everyone measures slightly different. With our crabs most crabs in shells at 1-1/4" and under seem to be ok with changing is 1/8 increments. Some will jump 1/4" sizes. Every crab chooses differently so it's impossible to say for sure.

Some places call out shells down to 1/32 even 1/64. I personally think sorting shells to 1/8" is fine. Dealing with megalopa and captive bred is a different story. Then you need to be more critical.

It's kinda like what Carpenters say? Measure twice, cut once. The same applies for ordering shells. Measure 10 times and hopefully order once! I'm a bad carpenter so I have to cut two or three times anyway!

Also if you Google "fraction to decimal graph" in images that is an ideal cheat sheet for reference. Most tape measures will measure down to 1/8 increments, some down to 1/16".
Thank you for such a great detailed reply! Shells are so confusing to me and I have no idea why haha

I'm going to search and try to order from Naples today, hopefully it's not too difficult. I know they've got a section of their website specifically for hermit crabs.

Topic author
RAHermits

Post by RAHermits » Mon May 04, 2020 9:44 am

Are there any issues with using polished shells?

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon May 04, 2020 9:45 am

You're welcome. Also on Naples website they have a section where they explain how they measure shells. That way you can double check to make sure you are ordering the correct size.

http://naplesseashellcompany.com/sizematters.html
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon May 04, 2020 9:55 am

I have found Naples to be easier to order sizes than some of the other sites. There was one I was on that I thought I was going to have a stroke trying to figure out the fractions!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
RAHermits

Post by RAHermits » Mon May 04, 2020 10:01 am

I've got a bunch of 1" turbos in my cart as well as a few apple murex and some polished shells as well. Hopefully they'll be happy with the selection.