Shells

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Carissaraeee

Shells

Post by Carissaraeee » Thu May 21, 2020 8:41 am

Well guys,... due to the craziness that surrounds us, I’m stuck in the house, and my hermits need new shells. And I need to find some ASAP. My only problem is, I don’t know what size to get. Especially if I’m gonna have to buy them online. So,... does anyone have any good websites they like to get their shells from? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xenocrab

Re: Shells

Post by Xenocrab » Thu May 21, 2020 8:49 am

The Shell Store, Ken Lipe! We have gotten a lot of shells from him. He's great! And the prices are reasonable.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu May 21, 2020 10:04 am

I have also ordered from Naples.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu May 21, 2020 10:10 am

Yes, Naples is good too! We have ordered many shells from them in the past

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
Carissaraeee

Post by Carissaraeee » Thu May 21, 2020 5:36 pm

Thank you guys! And how do you know what sizes to get and stuff? I’ve never bought any offline before, so I just don’t want to get the wrong size because I feel like one of them really needs a new one. I can tell he wants one, but he doesn’t like any of the ones I got in there. But now that I know what kind they both like, I know what to get. I’m just not sure what size

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu May 21, 2020 6:08 pm

Selecting shells is one of the most difficult things with owning crabs. You can pick what you think are ideal shells, but the crabs won't like them. Knowing how to read a tape measure down to at least 1/8" will help a lot. Even using callipers will make it easier. You may even want to Google "fraction to decimal graph".

Naples has good information on how to measure shells. That info is pretty standard.
http://naplesseashellcompany.com/sizematters.html

You will need to "try" and measure the shell openings of your crabs. Try to measure to the nearest 8th inch.
This is where it is pure luck. If the shell openings are one inch or smaller we will purchase several shells 1/8" and 1/4" larger.

Here's an example.
If your crab is in a 5/8" opening, we will order 3/4" and 7/8" openings. Every crab is different at what they like so offering several of each size is usually best. Each shell even the same size will be slightly different in weight and shape. Crabs know the difference. Be sure you pick popular type shells to increase your chances.

Here's the guide for favorites!
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=92552
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu May 21, 2020 6:14 pm

Topic moved from “Activism!” to “Shells”.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri May 22, 2020 2:50 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:14 pm
Topic moved from “Activism!” to “Shells”.

You would want to DM/PM the person that created the thread to let them know, and then you would would post it under the moderator thread for friendly reminders ;)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri May 22, 2020 2:51 pm

I personally love Richard's Sea Shells. You would need to let them know that the shells are for hermit crabs and then they check them for holes.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

hermitcrabshells.ca

Post by hermitcrabshells.ca » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:58 pm

We are just opening up a new online store called www.hermitcrabshells.ca
Our full range of shells and sizes is huge and hope to be fully up with all our sea shells by the end of June 2020
If you have any idea's please let me know.

asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:03 pm

Website design looks good, but I would probably recommend fixing the typo of “big” which is spelled as bi and (or byproducts, not really sure) and also refrain from using “u” in your website. Just a thought. The shellls you provide look great though!