Where to Purchase Jumbo Shells

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
breezybreebx003

Where to Purchase Jumbo Shells

Post by breezybreebx003 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:31 pm

I'm in desperate need of jumbo hermit shells. Looking for at least a 2.5-5 in inch opening so I can purchase more now in case he overgrows the smaller ones. My crab is already in a 2inch opening shell and it's far too small for him. Please help if you know what the best place to look for them is!

asiankanye

Re: Where to Purchase Jumbo Shells

Post by asiankanye » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:01 pm

http://naplesseashellcompany.com/hermit ... ction.html
https://deltonaseashells.com/murex---seashells
https://deltonaseashells.com/turbo-trochus-shells
I personally got mine from Naples, but deltonaseashells (Richard's Sea Shells on Etsy too) is also really good

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:18 am

What kind of shell is he wearing?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
breezybreebx003

Post by breezybreebx003 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:21 am

I'm not sure the exact shell name. I did some searching and it looks like a nutmeg/crown conch. I originally bought a huge bag of shells at Hobby Lobby to start and have been buying nicer shells since then. But the only shells that fit him are the huge shells from that bag at HL. Before his molt he was in a turbo shell. He was gone for well over a month and came back up HUGE. The 2inch opening he's in now fits tight. He can't sink in at all, there's no hiding. Lol

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:26 am

Okay yeah, there is a huge difference between oval and round openings. Oval openings are much wider than a comparatively sized turbo, but turbos have much more space inside. You'll often need to downsize when switching.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
breezybreebx003

Post by breezybreebx003 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:42 am

I know. Both shells that he has been in (the turbo before his molt) and the hobby lobby shell (he's in now) are too small. The turbo was a big shell as well. About a 2 inch opening as well. But I still need larger shells for him to fit into better now and for the future. Moat places I'm looking at stop at 2.5 inch openings or are out of stock of larger shells

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:52 am

There is a lady that sells large shells I think her name is Mygann? She is on Etsy and Ebay.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com