Beeswax to polish shells?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
VHPlac

Beeswax to polish shells?

Post by VHPlac » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:57 pm

I have been making jewelry form shells for some time.
I usually end up polishing it with my Dremel and Beeswax!
Now that I am about to rent out a tank to Hermit Crabs, and looked around online, I have seen so many pretty shells for big $$$
I know it is something I could do with natural shells, but I am not sure about the polishing part :?
Is Beeswax save?

suebee

Post by suebee » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:57 pm

Its not only safe, its a healthy treat for your crabs!
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:43 pm

suebee wrote:Its not only safe, its a healthy treat for your crabs!
We won't know if it's a shell fight or a food fight, LOL!

suebee

Post by suebee » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:06 pm

Lol, come here friend i just want to taste you house.. its worse then the gingerbread people!
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Topic author
VHPlac

Post by VHPlac » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:31 pm

Oh well... then it is just like making jewelry!!!
I guess I will get busy as soon as my shells get delivered :D
Soon our little tenants will be stylin'

wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:54 pm

crabbyrn wrote: We won't know if it's a shell fight or a food fight, LOL!
:hlol:
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

Bubble_hermes

Post by Bubble_hermes » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:44 am

Out of curiosity, could you use sand paper to safely polish a shell to get the "banded" look? I would really like to do some work on my crab's shells.

(Zephyr's looks more like a rock than a shell thanks to the whole camouflage thing, lol )
Owner of three PP's,Hermes, Zephyr, and Shy!
Also the mom of four cats, a dog and several houseplants =)

suebee

Post by suebee » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:04 pm

sand paper is fine on a empty shell, i wouldnt polish or sand any shell that a crab is already in..

Bubble_hermes

Post by Bubble_hermes » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:24 pm

Oh no! Of course not while he's in it! I'm hoping he'll switch and then I can steal it for a bit and clean it up a bit. (It has some chipping of the top layer.)
Owner of three PP's,Hermes, Zephyr, and Shy!
Also the mom of four cats, a dog and several houseplants =)

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:32 pm

I made the dumb mistake of placing my shells in vinegar. Now they look pretty dull. The shells appear a little stripped inside. Would you recommend applying beeswax inside the shell?

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:12 pm

How about mineral oil? How long do you think the shine would last?

Topic author
VHPlac

Post by VHPlac » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:50 pm

If you use sandpaper... it will take you ages to get any kind of shine to it!
When I made jewelry from Shells, I would use the Dremel with a sanding bit for clams etc and my hubbys bandsander for snail shells.
It is not a quick and easy process!
I never used Mineral Oil on my Jewelry, because the shine does not last long, and it gets a yuk dirty look within no time. For the natural shells that our Hermies wear now, I just use a bit of Olive Oil to buff them up. :wink:
5 Purple Pincers
2 Ecuadorians
1 Doberman Pincher (female)
1 Albino California King Snake
1 Boa Constrictor Imperator
1 Worm Snake
6 Homo Sapiens (1 adult male called Hubby (33) and 5 of his offspring (3 males and 2 females)

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:05 am

A few points:

To get a shine like we see on polished shells usually requires very, very, fine grit and if you don't want to spend hours at it, some power equipment. A dremel at the least, a buffing wheel or some-such would be even better.

Mineral oil vs Olive Oil. Tough call. In this instance, if the stuff is being buffed off really well I doubt there is a difference. Remember though, olive oil can go rancid (oxidize) and will grow some funky things. Spreading it out thin would increase the surface area and increase the rate of oxidation. A problem? I dunno. Mineral oil will not go rancid, but gobs of it on the gills would be a bad thing. Eating it is not a big issue, unless it is a chronic thing in fairly decent quantities, but oil and respiratory surfaces do not mix.

Banding - definitely a dremel with a grinding or sanding disk followed by buffing thing, unless you have a lot of extra time on your hands.

Beeswax: Know your source. Some beekeepers find it necessary to use materials in their hives to combat mites and other arthropod problems. These materials can build up in wax. Enough to affect a LHC? No one can say for sure, but the things are designed to affect other arthropods, and used improperly can certainly harm the bees (some would argue that they harm the bees even when they are used carefully but that is a different discussion). Since crustaceans share certain physiological mechanisms with insects, caution would be prudent.

Keith

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:37 am

I was thinking of applying a little bit of olive oil inside my shells. You indicated oil and respiratory surfaces do not mix. I'm assuming from this that applying a small amount of olive oil inside the shell would be a bad idea. Is this correct? Would it be okay to put just a small amount of olive oil on the outside of the shell, and then wipe it off/pat dry with a paper towel?

kgbenson wrote:A few points:

To get a shine like we see on polished shells usually requires very, very, fine grit and if you don't want to spend hours at it, some power equipment. A dremel at the least, a buffing wheel or some-such would be even better.

Mineral oil vs Olive Oil. Tough call. In this instance, if the stuff is being buffed off really well I doubt there is a difference. Remember though, olive oil can go rancid (oxidize) and will grow some funky things. Spreading it out thin would increase the surface area and increase the rate of oxidation. A problem? I dunno. Mineral oil will not go rancid, but gobs of it on the gills would be a bad thing. Eating it is not a big issue, unless it is a chronic thing in fairly decent quantities, but oil and respiratory surfaces do not mix.

Banding - definitely a dremel with a grinding or sanding disk followed by buffing thing, unless you have a lot of extra time on your hands.

Beeswax: Know your source. Some beekeepers find it necessary to use materials in their hives to combat mites and other arthropod problems. These materials can build up in wax. Enough to affect a LHC? No one can say for sure, but the things are designed to affect other arthropods, and used improperly can certainly harm the bees (some would argue that they harm the bees even when they are used carefully but that is a different discussion). Since crustaceans share certain physiological mechanisms with insects, caution would be prudent.

Keith

Topic author
VHPlac

Post by VHPlac » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:04 am

I do buff the natural shells with a tiny bit of olive oil that I wipe off when I am done.
I am not concerned about it going rancid. I clean my shells (rinse/boil/buff) every now and then and olive oil takes a while to go bad! Last year I found an opened bottle of olive oil on my husbands work bench that I bought when we first moved into our new house 6 years ago. It smelled just fine, no sign of being rancid. (No clue why he had it :shock: )
You do have to be careful when it comes to the Beeswax!
I get mine from my kids classmates father who is a Beekeeper. I know for sure that his Honey is Organic and that his Wax is free of pesticides.

BUT I would never get any Oil or Wax on the inside of my Shells!
5 Purple Pincers
2 Ecuadorians
1 Doberman Pincher (female)
1 Albino California King Snake
1 Boa Constrictor Imperator
1 Worm Snake
6 Homo Sapiens (1 adult male called Hubby (33) and 5 of his offspring (3 males and 2 females)