Mealworms and Exoskeletons

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
hermiwormi

Mealworms and Exoskeletons

Post by hermiwormi » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:07 am

I've fed my crabs primarily mealworms(and occasionally isopods) when I offer bugs in their diet, but I've been wondering if the exoskeleton from the organisms they consume helps with the exoskeletons of the crabs?

5 PPs: Koa, Moja, Siam, Chella, and Ozark.

soilentgringa
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mealworms and Exoskeletons

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:17 am

Yes. They are sources of chitin. Any safe insects and other creatures like krill, shrimp, crabs, are good for their exoskeleton and are also protein sources.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:54 am

soilentgringa wrote:Yes. They are sources of chitin. Any safe insects and other creatures like krill, shrimp, crabs, are good for their exoskeleton and are also protein sources.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
Alright, Also, is there a such thing as offering too much of a nutrient in their diet as with humans? Ex: Too much protein, calcium, too much of a vitamin, etc.

5 PPs: Koa, Moja, Siam, Chella, and Ozark.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:35 am

They seem to know what they need, so just feed a variety and they'll do the rest.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+