My family member has a worm farm, would it be safe to feed my hermit crab's the castings?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Meg'sAussieCrabitat

My family member has a worm farm, would it be safe to feed my hermit crab's the castings?

Post by Meg'sAussieCrabitat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:53 am

My nanna has a worm farm, and I don't know whether the castings are safe. Any ideas? :crabbigsmile:

5th year of crabbing with my 6 Aussies; Lily, Cocoa, Belladonna, Acorn, and Mango in a 65-gallon crabitat.
Also an owner of beautiful Sussex chickens; Adelaide, and Marshmallow, and my cat, Bluebell.

angelbear

Re: My family member has a worm farm, would it be safe to feed my hermit crab's the castings?

Post by angelbear » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:15 am

My hermits love worm castings. I dont see why it shouldnt be.
Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
Proud mama of 2 shell babies:
1 e, and 1pp

Links

Re: My family member has a worm farm, would it be safe to feed my hermit crab's the castings?

Post by Links » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:34 am

I know one thing about worms. They can or seem to tolerate many pesticides. We have worms on/in our golf greens which are treated with many pesticides. I’m going to be super paranoid that I’ll get something in the crabitat when we start spraying again during the growing season.

I don’t know if the chemicals transfer into their castings or not but I’d be cautious. Are the fed clean? If so it should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Meg'sAussieCrabitat

Post by Meg'sAussieCrabitat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:57 pm

Links wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:34 am
I know one thing about worms. They can or seem to tolerate many pesticides. We have worms on/in our golf greens which are treated with many pesticides. I’m going to be super paranoid that I’ll get something in the crabitat when we start spraying again during the growing season.

I don’t know if the chemicals transfer into their castings or not but I’d be cautious. Are the fed clean? If so it should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I don't know.

5th year of crabbing with my 6 Aussies; Lily, Cocoa, Belladonna, Acorn, and Mango in a 65-gallon crabitat.
Also an owner of beautiful Sussex chickens; Adelaide, and Marshmallow, and my cat, Bluebell.