Baby food for hermit crabs

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Emlyx

Baby food for hermit crabs

Post by Emlyx » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:35 am

Hi there! :D
I researched and found put you can feed baby food to hermit crabs! I have some questions about it. Sorry if my questions are a bit dumb...
1. What brand should I be getting?
2. Is there a difference between Gerber Naturals and Gerber Organics?
3. Baby food in a jar or baby food in a pouch?
4. How much baby food per day?
5. What flavours are safe?
Thanks!

Hermiesguardian

Re: Baby food for hermit crabs

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:41 pm

Naturals only means no added persavitives, colors. But it's not organic. I buy the pouch organic baby food. Whatever is on sale. Different flavors. I also get the crunchy snacks. They look like cheerios. For the pouch I just put a very small bit in their dish. Depends how many crabs you have and how big they are. I then refrigerate the pouch. It keeps well for a while.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Emlyx

Post by Emlyx » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:45 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:41 pm
Naturals only means no added persavitives, colors. But it's not organic. I buy the pouch organic baby food. Whatever is on sale. Different flavors. I also get the crunchy snacks. They look like cheerios. For the pouch I just put a very small bit in their dish. Depends how many crabs you have and how big they are. I then refrigerate the pouch. It keeps well for a while.
Oh Ok TYSM!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:46 pm

Emlyx wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:45 am
Oh Ok TYSM!
You're welcome!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:03 pm

Baby food works great frozen too! Spread it flat in a plastic bag so it is thin. Then freeze it like that. When you want to offer some simply pinch a small piece off and put it in the dish. It will thaw out in no time in a warm crabitat! A small jar will last months frozen rather than a few days in the fridge!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:24 pm

Motörcrab wrote:Baby food works great frozen too! Spread it flat in a plastic bag so it is thin. Then freeze it like that. When you want to offer some simply pinch a small piece off and put it in the dish. It will thaw out in no time in a warm crabitat! A small jar will last months frozen rather than a few days in the fridge!
Why did I never think of this! Thanks Motör!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:44 am

You can also freeze baby food into ice cube trays :)

I personally only recommend organic baby food.

There is a company that makes organic puffs. My crabs go NUTS over those! They come in fruit and veggie flavors :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com