ZOOMED red shrimp?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Angela.Shylah

ZOOMED red shrimp?

Post by Angela.Shylah » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:40 pm

Hello
I am looking for better ways to get protiens in my hermit crabs diets. I saw zoomed red shrimp and the only listed ingredient is dried shrimp. is this okay or will they probably not eat it?
Proud crab mommy of three babies: George, Scrumples, and Sebastian.
RIP Marbles.

megmaholm

Re: ZOOMED red shrimp?

Post by megmaholm » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:02 pm

Definitely fine. Just a warning, it's super stinky! :lol:
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
Angela.Shylah

Post by Angela.Shylah » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:49 pm

megmaholm wrote:Definitely fine. Just a warning, it's super stinky! :lol:
Proud crab mommy of three babies: George, Scrumples, and Sebastian.
RIP Marbles.

wyldaeval

Post by wyldaeval » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:08 am

I have and use ZooMed red river shrimp, but my fave is Freeze-Dried Bio-Pure Krill by Hikari, and another krill that comes in large bags on Amazon. I can't remember the name right now, but you get a lot of it for your money. Another fave of my crabs is squid! I buy frozen squid at a local oriental market and they go crazy for it. It can be stored in the freezer or cut up and dehydrated. For you brave crabbers out there, rattlesnake is another fave. We get a lot of poisonous snakes here and they usually end up being road kill. If they're fresh, I bring them home, skin and clean them out, and boil the meat. My crabs have been know to grab pieces of it out of my hands! As far as finding the dead snakes, be very careful and plant your booted foot over the head so you can cut it off, as the snake can still bite up to an hour or more after it's been killed. I know this sounds very "redneck", but I live in the south and we try to make good use out of things like that...for the crabs anyway. :wink: Pecans go over well too, and they don't have that "fear factor"! :lol:
Life is all about how you handle "plan B".
First introduced to hermit crabs while stationed on Guam back in the 70's.

Asheka

Post by Asheka » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:17 pm

If you decide to ever get the snails, I warn they're gag worthy...
4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.
Don't Hate What You Don't Understand PRIDE!
http://crabtaztic.blogspot.ca
Turning the gross and scary cute and merry at PlayfulDead Creationz

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:15 pm

Meg, I was going to say the same thing. I sometimes have trouble breathing around it, and so does my husband. We're not allergic to shrimp, either.

wyldeval, I'm glad I'm not the only one to consider roadkill. We hit a cardinal a few months back, and my first thought was to bring it back home for my snake, but was worried about parasites. Second thought was to give it to the crabs, but my hubby was driving and was so upset about having hit it that we buried it instead.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:59 pm

Angela.Shylah wrote:Hello
I am looking for better ways to get protiens in my hermit crabs diets. I saw zoomed red shrimp and the only listed ingredient is dried shrimp. is this okay or will they probably not eat it?
I haven't tried the ZOOMED but can attest to the yumminess of Wardley Hermit Crab Dried Shrimp: my guys just love it! It comes in small plastic container (11 grams), the shrimp are crushed and are easy to combine with other dried items and, best of all, Wardley's can be found at WalMart for under $5. The "use by" date will probably come well before the contents are used up.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Amiller2850

Post by Amiller2850 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:33 pm

Dried Shrimp is usually the first to go in our tank too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk