Is this ok?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Giner13

Is this ok?

Post by Giner13 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:47 pm

I've looked at the ingredients but thought I'd get more feedback!! It looks yummy for me hahaImageImageImage

Also can I use the
Scotch brand duct tape to attach my UTH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hermitcrabdc

Re: Is this ok?

Post by hermitcrabdc » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:07 pm

From the ingredients, I'd say it looks like it could be used as an occasional treat. It would be similar to Honey Nut Cheerios, those contain sugar and salt (and more) and are suggested only as an occasional treat.
If you want to give them a real treat, buy a fresh coconut. They're really inexpensive and my crabs love them. Plus you get two hidey huts out of the deal!
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Topic author
Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:11 pm

hermitcrabdc wrote:From the ingredients, I'd say it looks like it could be used as an occasional treat. It would be similar to Honey Nut Cheerios, those contain sugar and salt (and more) and are suggested only as an occasional treat.
If you want to give them a real treat, buy a fresh coconut. They're really inexpensive and my crabs love them. Plus you get two hidey huts out of the deal!
I like that idea!!!

friesb4uxbabe

Post by friesb4uxbabe » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:59 pm

I buy these at the dollar store for my crabs, they loooove them. I feed them as treats and they always take them and hide pieces everywhere [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:55 am

We can feed the hermies Honey Nut Cheerios as treats?? I had no idea!

Topic author
Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:30 pm

Kermie16 wrote:We can feed the hermies Honey Nut Cheerios as treats?? I had no idea!
I didn't either!!

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:25 am

Honey Nut Cheerios? I'm no expert but don't they add iron to that cereal and table salt? I was under the impression metals were not good for them, or table salt (but natural sea salt is good.) I'd just give them rolled oats and pop some plain popcorn with hot air popper as treats. So no additives.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:06 am

I give mine organic coconut flakes. Only ingredient is coconut. And plain cheerios occasionally.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:58 am

I've done plain breakfast cereals before. One of the original hermit crab stores sold organic baby puff cereals, which was a top seller for them for years.

Ideally a coconut with no added sugar and preferably no added salt would be better. Check the baking aisle! Walmart had organic 1 pound bags for like $2 a few years back that were just coconut. Haven't needed to buy more.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:25 am

You can give your crabs cheerios as well, they have a bit of sugar and are good as an occasional treat, or you can try the whole grain type. I give mine organic dehydrated coconut with no added ingredients.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:25 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:58 am
I've done plain breakfast cereals before. One of the original hermit crab stores sold organic baby puff cereals, which was a top seller for them for years.

Ideally a coconut with no added sugar and preferably no added salt would be better. Check the baking aisle! Walmart had organic 1 pound bags for like $2 a few years back that were just coconut. Haven't needed to buy more.
How long would that coconut last in the fridge? I buy the walmart brand.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:59 am

Very likely for months. I've always stashed it in the freezer and it pretty much keeps until used up.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:29 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:59 am
Very likely for months. I've always stashed it in the freezer and it pretty much keeps until used up.
Thanks.

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:11 am

Personally, I would stay away from anything that has added sugar and I’d be especially wary of added salt. Probably a better choice would be unsweetened coconut flakes from the baking section (check to make sure no added ingredients!) or fresh coconut from time to time.

I don’t know about y’all but I love fresh coconut.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:00 am

I hated all coconut until I got hermits, and now I love the real stuff. (Fake coconut flavors and the heavily processed stuff still make me feel sick.) Coconut curry is in my top ten favorite meals!