What can I put in egg shells?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
kieagcarm

What can I put in egg shells?

Post by kieagcarm » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:30 am

So I am making pancakes for my daughter and it requires eggs, I would love to put a shell in the tank for my crababies, but what can I put in it, and should I wash it out?

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

cap7

Re: What can I put in egg shells?

Post by cap7 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:52 am

I put it in as is. Raw white and shell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paradi

Post by Paradi » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:22 am

cap7 wrote:I put it in as is. Raw white and shell

Same here except I'll usually crush it up as fine as I can with my fingers and put it in a scallop Shell. I found that my crabs won't touch it unless I crush it up some. After crushing it I found pieces dragged all over the place, even upstairs in their moss pitImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paradi

Post by Paradi » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:23 am

I offered it with a little coconut and shrimp because I could tell my crab was going to molt soon and what do you know, next morning he was under the sub

Topic author
kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:36 am

Everyone says I can feed them right out of my kitchen, but upon investigation I discovered we do not eat healthy, at all. I could put pear, banana, rice, pinto beans, apple, potato, cheese. Almost everything else is in a box, bag or can. What a shame. I don't think they can eat uncooked rice or pinto beans, they make a horrid mess with bananas. I don't know what to do. All the meat is frozen. Grrr on unhealthy lifestyles

Paradi

Post by Paradi » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:47 am

kieagcarm wrote:Everyone says I can feed them right out of my kitchen, but upon investigation I discovered we do not eat healthy, at all. I could put pear, banana, rice, pinto beans, apple, potato, cheese. Almost everything else is in a box, bag or can. What a shame. I don't think they can eat uncooked rice or pinto beans, they make a horrid mess with bananas. I don't know what to do. All the meat is frozen. Grrr on unhealthy lifestyles

Is something wrong with the eggs too? I had a realization like this too when I noticed the coconut I had given my crabs had added sugar and a preservative! I immediately took it away but thankfully he only seemed to pick at it once then went down to molt. Hopefully he'll be okay. Now I selfishly keep the coconut chunks to myself, for the crabs' sake Image

Organic rice and pinto beans are usually very cheap if you buy them raw. You can get them for around 50 cents to $1 a pound at Valley Produce Market and Vallarta Supermarket. Vallarta regularly has sales on potatoes as well, sometimes several pounds for only a dollar or two.

As of the frozen meat, I'd just leave it out to thaw throughout the morning then boiled it a little for them once it's thawed enough for you to break off some chunks and serve it that way. I always boil the meat so there's no excessive fat and oil. Are there spices or preservatives in the meat that's making it unhealthy?

Topic author
kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:56 am

I think you misunderstood, the rice pinto beans potatoes are the healthy things I already have, but am wondering if they need to be cooked before I feed it to them?

Topic author
kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:19 pm

Image So I picked a day lily with a tiny stem, pushed the egg shell inside and filled the egg with Gerber green beans baby foodImage hope they don't make a mess

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:29 pm

I put it in my crabitat both ways. I've seen them eat it both ways. They have individual personalities just like us!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Paradi

Post by Paradi » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:33 pm

kieagcarm wrote:I think you misunderstood, the rice pinto beans potatoes are the healthy things I already have, but am wondering if they need to be cooked before I feed it to them?

Well since those are rather hard foods I'd imagine it would be easier to eat once they're cooked. Idk that it's really necessary though

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:30 pm

I have a Tupperware in my freezer just for hermie food that are scraps of what we have eaten. Like if we are having shrimp, I take one raw one, rinse in FW and chop it up then flash freeze it in the freezer before putting it in a freezer ziplock in the container. So on rushed days/nights I can just take out a few from the baggies and plop them in an eggshell that I saved in the fridge - I may also add a dab of organic raw honey or peanut butter and sprinkle in some worm castings :) Last night we had brinner for dinner so they got an egg shell with a raw yolk in it half cracked - someone tasted it when I checked it this morning since there was sub inside :) Fruits I have chopped up for the family I mince a few for the crabs and freeze those too, same things with veggies. I tend to forget a lot of things during busier days, so I leave a little dish out next to my stove so as I cook, I will put tie bit scraps (unseasoned of course) in the dish to feed the crabs later Image

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:32 pm

All that to say I put all of our fresh foods in the eggshell because clean up the next morning is much simpler - toss out the eggshell

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:53 pm

Kermie16 wrote:All that to say I put all of our fresh foods in the eggshell because clean up the next morning is much simpler - toss out the eggshell Image

My compost would love to have your "throw away" stuff!! Since our family started our organic garden, and composting, we are going green on as much as possible!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:06 am

Lol! Sure!!

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:19 am

Eh. If they're hungry they'll eat, they are natural scavengers, they don't have anyone grinding or cooking their food in the wild. However, I feed a variety of ways, just depends on my mood. Raw, cooked, crushed, whole. Variety is the spice of life! :)

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk