Wild lizard tail safe as food?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
hprmom

Post by hprmom » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:35 pm

No, I'm not butchering lizards for food!! :lol: We catch little lizards, the kind common in Central Florida, in the house all the time and throw them back outside. Sometimes they lose their tails in the process. Can I feed the tail to the hermit crabs? Weird question, but hey, the tail isn't doing the lizard anymore good!

C_fiesta

Re: Wild lizard tail safe as food?

Post by C_fiesta » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:51 pm

Ummm... my only hesitation would be the perhaps questionable diet they eat or if they roll around in pesticides. I know exactly what kind of lizards you're talking about!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

Da_Stos208

Post by Da_Stos208 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:38 pm

I think it should be fine, as long as you wash it very well (to remove any possible pesticides) and boild it in dechlorinated water to kill any germs or parasites. But I'm no expert!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:21 pm

I personally wouldn't. Unknown bacteria a viruses present, pesticides and fertilizers, which in the wild is fine but in a closed system a small build up of these compounds/ organisms could be deadly.
I would personally use it as a fertiliser for a garden bed tbh.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:02 pm

Do you have your house sprayed with pesticides and fertilizers? If so then I would say no. I would rather be safe than sorry

Edit: I didn't see AussieJJDude's comment before I commented- sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:56 pm

Eh.... I would be leary for reasons already mentioned, but it's probably no worse than raw poultry in terms of chemical exposure or salmonella. If you'd be comfortable doing raw meat the tail would be similar.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
hprmom

Post by hprmom » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:39 am

Okay, good info. We don't spray, but I didn't think about bacteria or viruses. Would the same go for locally caught isopods? My son stumbled on a spot teeming with isopods and now we have a few in a separate 5 gallon habitat. Although I don't think they're gonna make it; we've only got 8 or 10 live adults and when we went back to the spot in the yard, they had all disappeared!

Tangent: I rinse leaves, etc. from the yard to make sure I'm not bringing in bugs or bug eggs, but I always wonder if I'm washing off "good dirt", something they'd be getting in the wild. A friend once suggested that our garden snails were missing nutrients because I sterilized their sub.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:26 pm

I think I remember someone saying to use the offspring of them if you take them out of the wild. I'm not positive though.

Edit: I personally don't rinse off things before putting them in my tat. I just try to get things after it rained, or in the morning when dew is on them. Seems the most natural to me, but that's just how I do it. Doesn't mean that it's right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:26 pm

Bacteria is pretty low down the ladder of things to worry about. I never have.

Viruses tend to be species specific so unless you live in area where wild hermit crabs are running around there isn't much to worry about. One notable exception are iridovirus which can affect all crustaceans (pill bugs are crustaceans) and may possibly jump species. They cause extreme coloration (grey pills bugs will be bright blue or purple) and do something else I can't remember which causes death.

I don't really worry too much about rinsing off either. Depends on what it is though.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:33 pm

I'm about breeding isopods out for a couple of generations (just in case of nematode parasites, though these don't seem to be as bad in crustaceans as in some other animals). I take the babies of the babies & add those to the tat... but it's a wee bit more work than just dumping them in, and I doubt any one would blame you if you didn't. It's one of those paranoid precautions.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:36 pm

wodesorel wrote:Bacteria is pretty low down the ladder of things to worry about. I never have.
Right? I mean, crustaceans just have NO respect for human sanitary concerns. They're like, "yum, poop - don't mind if I do!" :lol:
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(