Canned fish

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Canned fish

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:11 am

Is canned fish ok? Like sardines in oil? Or other types with no other ingredients other than oil. I think it's usually soybean oil or olive oil.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Canned fish

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:30 am

I usually look at the ingredients - if it's in olive oil - that is fine - that's on the safe list :)

If your store has a seafood dept, don't be afraid to go ask for one shrimp, or one crab claw...it's pretty cheap - and you can freeze the rest :) Lots of good stuff there! Then you are getting exoskeleton for them to eat too!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:51 am

GotButterflies wrote:I usually look at the ingredients - if it's in olive oil - that is fine - that's on the safe list :)

If your store has a seafood dept, don't be afraid to go ask for one shrimp, or one crab claw...it's pretty cheap - and you can freeze the rest :) Lots of good stuff there! Then you are getting exoskeleton for them to eat too!
Great! Thanks. That's a good idea. So, raw, right? It's just meat they shouldn't eat raw?
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:07 am

All kinds of meat can be fed cooked or raw. See what they like, as long is its 'prepared' in a safe manner its fine. Remember, in the wild they dont have cooked foods, so they are fine being fed raw.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:14 am

I feed only raw. My guys don't like cooked foods. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:11 am

aussieJJDude wrote:All kinds of meat can be fed cooked or raw. See what they like, as long is its 'prepared' in a safe manner its fine. Remember, in the wild they dont have cooked foods, so they are fine being fed raw.

Ok. Thanks. That's so much easier too. I've read though raw isn't good. Most of what I've read about their care (I'm new) has 2 different sides.

DaJimmer

Post by DaJimmer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:21 pm

I've done a lot of reading on the internet and a lot on this forum and if you want the very very best care practices get it from the admin here
-Jimmer

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:39 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:
aussieJJDude wrote:All kinds of meat can be fed cooked or raw. See what they like, as long is its 'prepared' in a safe manner its fine. Remember, in the wild they dont have cooked foods, so they are fine being fed raw.

Ok. Thanks. That's so much easier too. I've read though raw isn't good. Most of what I've read about their care (I'm new) has 2 different sides.
Well, also look at what they eat in the wild. I tell people that no one is cooking for them in their natural habitat, and raw decaying organisms are part of their diet, so it makes sense that you wouldn't have to cook for them in captivity.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:40 pm

DaJimmer wrote:I've done a lot of reading on the internet and a lot on this forum and if you want the very very best care practices get it from the admin here
Thank you!