Gecko poop?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
gunstreet.girl

Gecko poop?

Post by gunstreet.girl » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:30 am

I don’t know why it took me nearly a decade to think of this, since they literally live right next to one another, but: knowing that hermies enjoy eating poop, and having a big healthy old crested gecko, one of the byproducts of which is a large quantity of poop, can anyone think of a reason not to offer some of said poop to the hermies? Crestie is fed Repashy and Pangea crestie “smoothies” (contain: various fruits; black soldier fly, egg, whey and pea for protein; sea and land vegetables; calcium and other vitamin/mineral supplements and fermentation extracts).

LadyJinglyJones

Re: Gecko poop?

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:55 pm

I feed my fat tail's poop some times.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:48 pm

I bet they would love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:06 pm

I skip the poop and just feed the Repashy. My ruggie loves the stuff!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:07 pm

In truth, the gecko poop is not as popular as other poops I've offered. He's an insectivore, so that surprised me. But worm castings & rabbit are beloved. I really wanna get some deer... gotta go hiking with my da, we used to "track" deer when I was a sprout (ie. follow footprints around fir a coupla hours in this one highly deer-infested valley.... well, I thought I was the queen of the wilderness because I could tell raccoon poop from dog :lol: ).

I love the idea of doing like the "choice chamber" Thacker 1998 paper did, but with just different types of poop. That would be both hilarious & edifying, IMO. :lol:

(The choice chamber was part of an experiment where Thacker set up a box with two food options where crebs could smell the aroma of two different foods, and this was used to determine their preference by what they choose to consume - whereby it was assertained that E LHCs don't like to eat the same thing twice in a row.)
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:56 am

LadyJinglyJones wrote:In truth, the gecko poop is not as popular as other poops I've offered. He's an insectivore, so that surprised me. But worm castings & rabbit are beloved. I really wanna get some deer... gotta go hiking with my da, we used to "track" deer when I was a sprout (ie. follow footprints around fir a coupla hours in this one highly deer-infested valley.... well, I thought I was the queen of the wilderness because I could tell raccoon poop from dog :lol: ).

I love the idea of doing like the "choice chamber" Thacker 1998 paper did, but with just different types of poop. That would be both hilarious & edifying, IMO. :lol:

(The choice chamber was part of an experiment where Thacker set up a box with two food options where crebs could smell the aroma of two different foods, and this was used to determine their preference by what they choose to consume - whereby it was assertained that E LHCs don't like to eat the same thing twice in a row.)
A poop choice chamber would be incredibly satisfying. I live less than a 5 minute walk from Gatineau park so if I put my mind to it I could probably gather a good, broad variety of samples when (if?) it ever stops snowing..

Topic author
gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:54 am

wodesorel wrote:I skip the poop and just feed the Repashy. My ruggie loves the stuff!

I’m shaking my head at myself for never having thought to test the CGD out on the hermies. As soon as they start resurfacing i’ll see if my PPs have as adventurous a palate as your ruggie.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:07 pm

She has been eating mostly the Repashy gecko diets for two years now, both dry and reconstituted. Loves the stuff, eats more than I expect her to. I have all five day gecko varieties and alternate them for her, my crested and my golden.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:16 am

wodesorel wrote:She has been eating mostly the Repashy gecko diets for two years now, both dry and reconstituted. Loves the stuff, eats more than I expect her to. I have all five day gecko varieties and alternate them for her, my crested and my golden.

Is there a reason why you feed it just to your Ruggie and not your other crabs, or do you feed it to them too?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:34 am

The others are upstairs in my reptile room and go through a cup of dry mix at a time! I would never be able to afford to feed them all.

The rug is downstairs in the bedroom with the crested, so I make their meals together. The rug usually ends up eating more than the gecko, and she is still a small!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:36 am

LOL! Understandable!!!

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:54 pm

I’ve got a free access to rabbit poop in my backyard, and my dog loves that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Wild animals are likely to be loaded with parasites. That probably won't affect the crabs but it could potentially be bad for humans, rabbits can carry a few nasty things. There is also the issue of wild animals traveling around and possibly eating pesticides or chemicals, your neighbors may love to douse their yards with who knows what.

Also, make sure your vet knows your dog likes rabbit poop, especially if he/she ever gets sick. It may help to keep him/her healthy. :)