Has anyone ever saved pork fat for the crabs?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
crabby33

Has anyone ever saved pork fat for the crabs?

Post by crabby33 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:36 pm

I just got some butterfly pork chops that has the fat on it and wondered if anyone has ever saved it for their crabs. It's possible my crabs are in premolt so I am offering a high protein diet.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Has anyone ever saved pork fat for the crabs?

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:45 pm

Of all the meats, pork is the one we are supposed to limit. I personally avoid it all together. My hermits are not a fan. I stick with safe fats - extra virgin olive oil and extra virgin coconut oil.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:47 pm

I checked the label to make sure nothing had been added. I thought it was on the safe list? And I'm just curious but what is the concern about pork? And I have been offering extra virgin olive oil every day.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:30 pm

There is no concern about 100% pork, and there are videos out there showing wild crabs love a dead pig. Most pork products like ham and bacon have been cured with all manner of chemicals and should be avoided. Maybe that's where the confusion comes from?

I've found mine to really enjoy cuts of fat from pork and beef. :) They eat the fat much more than the meat.

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:29 pm

Yeah, I bought butterfly pork chops and I checked the label. It had nothing added to it. I always check the labels of raw meat products to make sure it would be safe to feed to my crabs. I agree ham and bacon is probably where the confusion came from. When I bag it, I plan to cut off some fat for the crabs.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:28 pm

wodesorel wrote:There is no concern about 100% pork, and there are videos out there showing wild crabs love a dead pig. Most pork products like ham and bacon have been cured with all manner of chemicals and should be avoided. Maybe that's where the confusion comes from?

I've found mine to really enjoy cuts of fat from pork and beef. :) They eat the fat much more than the meat.
Yes, that is probably where I learned it from! Makes sense...Sorry about that! Image

Mine do like chicken fat, but haven’t cared for other meat fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:52 pm

I fed my crabs pork the other night, and it had some fat on it.
They only touched the meat, not the fat :P
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!