Garden

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Garden

Post by piratetoothgir » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:40 am

Thought about making my very own garden this year, since I own a bunch of crabs that like a varied diet, it’ll make tons of sense on why I should grow a garden.

I live close to a Home Depot, so options are at my fingertips, all I have to do is decide what I want to grow, and get things planted.

Want to help me decide? Here are my conditions for choosing plants.

1) Has to be easy to intermediate to grow, cannot be hard.
2) Has to be a part or full sun plant, I get a lot of light.
3) Has to be approved by the safe Food List

I am really looking forward to some specific plants, and those are Parsley, Basil, or Oregano. I cannot really do any carrots because I would be using a long planter for these plants.

Although I might be able to use this section on our back patio, which used to be a garden, now it’s nothing. I just need to make sure the plants will approve of Texas soil, which gets very thick in clay the deeper you go.

I am open to keeping two separate areas for plants, which would be the open earth and an enclosed planter for the plants that need shallow substrate.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Moonlightdreams

Re: Garden

Post by Moonlightdreams » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:08 am

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, because I kill plants just by walking by. :lol: I've had a little luck with strawberries and a raspberry bush. The raspberry bush flowered the first summer, but never produced fruit. The next summer, we were up to our ears in berries! :D Unforunately, I think the cold weather got to poor Robert. (Yes, we named it Robert. :P )
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:46 am

If you have a back patio, plant a garden using clay pots. You can use organic soil:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:57 am

The potted bush tomatoes like Better Bush do extremely well! Any of the bush tomatoes are simple. Early Girl is another variety that is easy and matures quickly but will grow larger.

Zucchini is another where you can just plant and reap a huge harvest. Any of the varieties will do great.

Peppers can be trickier but the garden centers sell ones that do well potted or in small spaces.

Cucumbers are best started from seed. Zucchini as well. They do need space though.

I don't think HD has a huge selection when it comes to herbs, it's like one of each type aside from basil which comes in green or purple. So that will be easy, get what you like. Parsley, Oregano and Basil are easy and like full sun.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:53 pm

wodesorel wrote:The potted bush tomatoes like Better Bush do extremely well! Any of the bush tomatoes are simple. Early Girl is another variety that is easy and matures quickly but will grow larger.

Zucchini is another where you can just plant and reap a huge harvest. Any of the varieties will do great.

Peppers can be trickier but the garden centers sell ones that do well potted or in small spaces.

Cucumbers are best started from seed. Zucchini as well. They do need space though.

I don't think HD has a huge selection when it comes to herbs, it's like one of each type aside from basil which comes in green or purple. So that will be easy, get what you like. Parsley, Oregano and Basil are easy and like full sun.
I'll be on the lookout for plants, so whenever I see a good selection, I will buy it!
Thanks for the plant suggestions!
GotButterflies wrote:If you have a back patio, plant a garden using clay pots. You can use organic soil:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I'll remember that when I start! :)
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!