Regarding feeding

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
sarcasticLynx

Regarding feeding

Post by sarcasticLynx » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:38 am

Hi, so I have a few questions about food/feeding

1. If the crabs are under, how often should I change out the Food? I've been cleaning and replacing the food every two days, but it feels like it's kind if a waste since they're all under right now.

2. Should their food plate be shallow? The food dish I have for them right now is about an inch deep or so. Would this discourage feeding as it is a bit difficult to get in and out?

3. For Ecuadorians, do they have any favorite foods they will 100% go after (or at least 50% lol) because when they come up i want to make certain that they will eat.

4. Does freeze dried insects/worms/whatever contain less nutrients than frozen? This is something that is hotly debated in the aquarium hobby so I'm wondering if here we have anything decided.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Regarding feeding

Post by wodesorel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:04 pm

You don't have to put in a full amount of food, but it's good to have a piece of something available at all times. If they come up and find nothing, I have found there is a good chance they will rebury for a few more days.

They can climb just about anything, so the depth should not affect them. They will likely drag off whatever they want to wherever they want!

There is no way to know for sure what a crab will eat. A good mix will offer lots of choices. When I had Es they were more picky in what they really went crazy for. Coconut was always a hit, as were freshly killed insects.

Freeze drying does affect the vitamin content and frozen may be more complete in that regard, but that's coming from fishkeeping info, too. Frozen is harder to do with crabs since it smells powerful out of water, and any liquid spills so easily or gets tracked around from feet or being dragged out of the bowl. The crabs will enjoy either!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
sarcasticLynx

Re: Regarding feeding

Post by sarcasticLynx » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:28 pm

Thank you!!!!!