The right food

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Sherman12

The right food

Post by Sherman12 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:07 pm

After losing 3 of my 4 crabs I've narrowed the reason down to their food.(Not entirely sure tho)
So recently learning that commercial food inst 100% safe what food is recommended to feed my crab?
Rest in peace Feller

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The right food

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:49 pm

Hello :)
Please fill this out so we can help you determine if it is just your food. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46102

Yes, most commercial food is not safe for hermit crabs due to the following ingredients; EQ or Ethoxyquin an antioxidant, Copper Sulfate & BHT, also known as butylhydroxytoluene.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:50 pm

Feed the types of food you eat - to summarise! Things like fresh - and if possible organic, otherwise wash/peel the fruit to remove most of the chemicals - fruit and veggies are grest choices, but also nuts and seeds are readily taken. Also feed meats as well, things like cooked eggs (you can also feed the shell as well! Especially if they are 'homegrown' eggs) and also seafood, and other meats (if you cook them, keep it unseasoned).... seaweed is also a good idea, plenty of minerals. Honey.

Im sure you get the idea. I will mention that in our caresheet there are multiple guides for what to eat, whats best to avoid and a good nutrition table (as well as safe commercial food) that may be worth checking out!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:13 pm

I am part vegetarian and only eat bird based meats, so that gives me tons of options on foods I can feed my crabs.
I never feed the same thing twice in a week, always varied diet.

For instance, tonight they got shredded coconut, puffed millet, grapes, and a bit of unsweetened organic applesauce.
I topped that off with some Peruvian organic honey.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!