Catappa leaves

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Catappa leaves

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:46 pm

How is leaf litter a different source of nutrients than Catappa leaves? Where would be the best place to get catappa leaves?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Catappa leaves

Post by wodesorel » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:58 pm

Every species of tree is going to have different nutrition and tannins and flavor, just like how tree nuts vary so much. The crabs always enjoy variety. :)

Indian Almond leaves are popular with betta breeders as they encourage spawning, and with terrarium owners as they are non-toxic to frogs and do not break down quickly like some hardwood leaves do meaning they stay looking picture perfect for longer.

You can find bags for sale through terrarium supply stores and through betta specialty stores. DON'T be tempted to overpay, look for deals on quarts and gallons. I have seen them for sale through major reptile companies at like $5 for four leaves! It makes me crazy the way they exploit people.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:26 pm

wodesorel wrote:Every species of tree is going to have different nutrition and tannins and flavor, just like how tree nuts vary so much. The crabs always enjoy variety. :)

Indian Almond leaves are popular with betta breeders as they encourage spawning, and with terrarium owners as they are non-toxic to frogs and do not break down quickly like some hardwood leaves do meaning they stay looking picture perfect for longer.

You can find bags for sale through terrarium supply stores and through betta specialty stores. DON'T be tempted to overpay, look for deals on quarts and gallons. I have seen them for sale through major reptile companies at like $5 for four leaves! It makes me crazy the way they exploit people.
Yeah, those leaves are very overpriced in most places.
I bought some at first, eight inch leaves for $1.75 on Amazon!
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:43 pm

Most I've seen on ebay are shipped from other countries. I'm worried they may have pesticides.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:47 pm

It's a foreign tropical species. I don't even know if it is grown in the USA.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:04 pm

wodesorel wrote:It's a foreign tropical species. I don't even know if it is grown in the USA.
Ok. Thanks.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:09 am

Not trying to advertise here- but if you are wanting to try them, I sell two organic giant leaves for $1.75 in my store.

Indian Almond Leaves are one of my crabs favorites!

They do come from Thailand. The place I buy from has them certified as organic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:34 am

GotButterflies wrote:Not trying to advertise here- but if you are wanting to try them, I sell two organic giant leaves for $1.75 in my store.

Cool. I just looked it up and added to cart. How big is giant?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:45 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:Not trying to advertise here- but if you are wanting to try them, I sell two organic giant leaves for $1.75 in my store.

They are 8" long :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:59 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote:

They are 8" long :)
Ok. Thanks! I just bought a few things. :D

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:38 pm

[quote="wodesorel"]Every species of tree is going to have different nutrition and tannins and flavor, just like how tree nuts vary so much. The crabs always enjoy variety. :)

Indian Almond leaves are popular with betta breeders as they encourage spawning, and with terrarium owners

My Aussies avoid these leaves totally even walking to the other side of the tank if I put them in their normal trackway. Image

Crazy crab lady with 3 babies raised in captivity. One female on male and one unknown. Also 4 adults. 2 males 1 female and 1 unknown.
Hoping for more babies this season.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:27 am

So weird!! I have heard PPs go crazy for them.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:30 am

Mine go nuts over them! They even prefer them over oak leaves!

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:07 pm

My PPs go nuts for them, too, devouring the whole leaf in just a few days, and I keep a TON of other leaf litter in there. Something about these really appeal to mine.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:54 am

Just wanted to show you how they're enjoying the catappa leaves. This 1st video looks like he's rubbing himself on it.

https://youtu.be/DlNbTr3OEEw

https://youtu.be/wxihttm2rL4