I haven’t noticed two of my crabs eating?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
3isha

I haven’t noticed two of my crabs eating?

Post by 3isha » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:03 pm

I have 4 crabs. 2 are jumbo, 2 are small. I used to have hermit crabs as a kid for 2 years until a little mistake my brother made. So now I’m trying again now that I’m older. I just got them last week. I give them a variety of food every day. For example, today I’ve given them spinach, broken cashews, crushed egg, small bit of orange, coconut, and papaya. My two jumbo crabs only come out at night and are very active. They love eating the food and I catch them eating and coming back to their food dish throughout the night. However I’ve never seen my two small crabs eat. I did place one small crab near the bowl just once to see how he reacted. He ate for 10 seconds and then left. Sometimes I catch the other crab eating the jungle bedding. Am I doing something wrong? Should I set up another food bowl since maybe they don’t like it being nearby the jumbo crabs? Also, is coconut bad to give everyday?

Thank you!

CrabsterBecks

Re: I haven’t noticed two of my crabs eating?

Post by CrabsterBecks » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi 3ish!

I have had similar experience wit my four PP's. They mostly stay submerged during the day, and then two of the four (the other two are currently molting), come up about 5/6 p.m. and stay up for about an hour until I go to bed. By morning they are down again, having dug a different tunnel. :D Honestly I wouldn't worry about them not eating enough. When you DO see them up, if they look healthy and active, they should be fine. A lot of times, if I happen upon one of them eating, he backtracks and scoots into a hidey house. He's just camera shy, I guess!

Coconut is very healthy for your crabs and mine love it! Small quantities every day should be fine. Another food bowl at a different location in the tank would probably be a good idea if you are worried that your little guys don't want to compete with the big ones. Make sure to provide plenty of fresh veggies and sources of calcium and protein...

About the eating the bedding...what kind of bedding do you have? That's not my expertiser; better ask GotButterflies or wodesorel about that one. Hope this helps!
Full~Time Mother of Four Beautiful PP's and incredibly blessed to have them as well as a German Shepherd and his bunny buddy!

Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:11 pm

CrabsterBecks wrote:Hi 3ish!

I have had similar experience wit my four PP's. They mostly stay submerged during the day, and then two of the four (the other two are currently molting), come up about 5/6 p.m. and stay up for about an hour until I go to bed. By morning they are down again, having dug a different tunnel. :D Honestly I wouldn't worry about them not eating enough. When you DO see them up, if they look healthy and active, they should be fine. A lot of times, if I happen upon one of them eating, he backtracks and scoots into a hidey house. He's just camera shy, I guess!

Coconut is very healthy for your crabs and mine love it! Small quantities every day should be fine. Another food bowl at a different location in the tank would probably be a good idea if you are worried that your little guys don't want to compete with the big ones. Make sure to provide plenty of fresh veggies and sources of calcium and protein...

About the eating the bedding...what kind of bedding do you have? That's not my expertiser; better ask GotButterflies or wodesorel about that one. Hope this helps!
My crabs eat the sand regularly. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

curlysister

Post by curlysister » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:28 pm

I swear that the only reason I knew my crabs were eating when they were smaller...is that they were alive! I never saw them eat, and it seemed like there was never any food missing from the bowls. Now that Sonny is so much bigger than Cher, I give them two bowls so Cher gets her fair share. I see them both eat regularly now.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:06 pm

Hermits are built to not want to eat the same thing every day. You may find that eventually they won't eat as much, in which case swap it out every few days to spark interest again.

Eating substrate is normal! Cocofiber is the outer part of coconuts after all and is something they would eat in the wild. Picking at sand grains can also be a way for them to get moisture, not all crabs like water dishes.