Onions

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
crabby33

Onions

Post by crabby33 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:48 am

How are onions considered unsafe or toxic for hermit crabs? I don't feed anything on the unsafe list but I want to know how onions are deemed unsafe. One group I was a member of believed avocados are not safe but yet it's on our safe list but my crabs won't eat it.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Onions

Post by wodesorel » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:06 pm

Alliums are known to be natural dewormers, which is why it is recommended to stay clear. Anything that can have a blanket effect on insects may not be good for our crabs, but honestly, there are so many differences between species it may not affect them.

Everything on our food list has been food trialed - meaning multiple people have fed that item over a period of time and experienced no loss of hermit crabs. Items that were not eaten got put on the avoid list. Hermits seem to know what not to eat so long as they are not starving, and there is no known case of a crab dying from something it ate.

I have always given my crabs leftover avocado skins with some flesh still attached, so I don't know why anyone would consider them unsafe.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:33 pm

I've seen a couple of my crabs eat avocado fruit. But it's never seemed like a big favourite in the tank.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:27 pm

Ditto here. I frequently put our leftover avocado skins with a little avocado in them in the tank but I also like to use it as a fresh foods dish so it frequently has other fresh foods mixed in it. They don’t seem to drag it around the tank like they do fresh meats or seafood so I’m guessing it’s not a favorite but I have seen them in it munching so it must be still ok to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:26 pm

My crabs like avacado :) They don’t care for the skin though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com