Hermit Crab Crunchies

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
crabby33

Hermit Crab Crunchies

Post by crabby33 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:52 pm

Although I tend to stay away from all commercial foods with preservatives that could potentially kill my crabs, I am concerned about the hermit crab crunchies at PetSmart. It has peanut meal in it which I suspect may have Ethoxyquin hidden in it. The thing is, the crabs often don't know if something had poison in it until they go down to molt and never resurface or it prevents them from molting and they die.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hermit Crab Crunchies

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Check the ingredients list closely. Ethoxyquin is usually listed if it's in the food. These "Crunchies" do have a lot of preservatives, though, so I think plain peanuts or similar foods may still be a better choice.

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:13 pm

I agree. I wasn't planning to buy it. I know most commercial foods are a big, big no no and I definitely do not want to feed these to my crabs. I just wanted to get other opinions on it.

StarGirlxo

Post by StarGirlxo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:32 am

crabby33 wrote:I agree. I wasn't planning to buy it. I know most commercial foods are a big, big no no and I definitely do not want to feed these to my crabs. I just wanted to get other opinions on it.
Hermitcrabpatch.com. never worry again. All fresh organic food and supply's

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed May 16, 2018 1:21 am

Commercial foods being a big problem.... does this count for The Hermit Crab Patch mixes? I looked at them online and they have plenty of options, plus some calcium (which i'm not sure what it's used for if someone could explain? all the reviews said their crabs loved eating it, so it's just another food source?)
Are these commercial foods okay? I'm having trouble feeding fresh foods diet because my crabs don't seem to touch anything besides a boiled egg, and even that they barely touch..
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Wed May 16, 2018 9:32 am

ciaraalston wrote:Commercial foods being a big problem.... does this count for The Hermit Crab Patch mixes? I looked at them online and they have plenty of options, plus some calcium (which i'm not sure what it's used for if someone could explain? all the reviews said their crabs loved eating it, so it's just another food source?)
Are these commercial foods okay? I'm having trouble feeding fresh foods diet because my crabs don't seem to touch anything besides a boiled egg, and even that they barely touch..
Yes, most of the mixes from HCP are pretty nice. I don’t know about the FMR foods sold, but everything else is a-okay.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed May 16, 2018 12:16 pm

Yes, calcium is a necessary food source. HCP has a few different 'flavors', my crabs like them all! Other sources are cuttlebone, egg shells, etc.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed May 16, 2018 12:57 pm

HCP was the original small hermit crab store, and yes all of their own mixes and most of the other brands are completely safe and not commercial in nature. They scooped up a few other small hermit stores and products over the years.

Edit: Calcium is a huge requirement for hermits. Their shells are made from almost entirely calcium, they need it in their diets to stay healthy and have good molts.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram