Packaged frozen fish

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
crabby33

Packaged frozen fish

Post by crabby33 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:04 pm

I have concerns whether my crabs can eat frozen tilapia fillets because carbon monoxide was used to help retain the color of the meat. I always read the label before offering it to my crabs. If there are any chemicals or salt has been added, I don't give it to them. It's not worth the risk.
Last edited by crabby33 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Packaged frozen fish

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:10 pm

I don't know about carbon monoxide, but salt used in food is often table salt. I don't think I'd risk it, either.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:52 pm

crabby33 wrote:I have concerns whether my crabs can eat frozen tilapia fillets because carbon monoxide was used to help retain the color of the meat. I always read the label before offering it to my crabs. If there are any chemicals or salt has been added, I don't give it to them. It's not worth the risk.
I usually get fish from the seafood counter. Crablegs, scallops, shrimp, oyster...and of course they're picky even with that.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:26 pm

Carbon monoxide evaporates the moment you open the package.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:18 pm

Okay, so frozen fish should be safe once I open the package. I just want to make sure it's safe to give to the crabs.