Scavenging food method

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Scavenging food method

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:08 am

I recently bought some scallop shells from Naples Seashells, and I wouldn't have if I didn't stumble over a message from @GotButterflies
She mentioned in a post about food saying she uses shells to promote the scavenging instinct that the crabs possess.

I decided that I liked that method, and wanted to do it too :)
Purchased four sunset scallop shells from the shop to use as little dishes. I chose four because I usually feed that amount of food groups per day, so I wanted this to make my life easier! One shell for each food group that I feed in a night.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Scavenging food method

Post by curlysister » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:59 am

Do they seem to like it? I saw the post too, and was considering trying it!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:33 am

curlysister wrote:Do they seem to like it? I saw the post too, and was considering trying it!
Last night was my first attempt, I haven’t seen my crabs since earlier in the evening, it’s 3AM where I live, so I didn’t check on them yet.
Crabber Since 2016

Ankutchey

Post by Ankutchey » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:38 am

This is how I feed my food. My crabs seem to enjoy it, but you can still most definitely see which food out is there favorite. Sometimes I'll see two or three eating together around one bowl.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I have five PPs: Smoky, Albert, Stuart, Rocky, and Jax
Two Cats: Sherlock and Snowball
One Dog: Serana

alicrabs2003

Post by alicrabs2003 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:41 am

curlysister wrote:Do they seem to like it? I saw the post too, and was considering trying it!
You should for sure try this method, my crabs love it!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:42 am

Well, everyone. They loved it! Raw shrimp was completely gone, no trace of it yet.
The veggies got used pretty roughly, but not as much as the fruit and nuts.
Crabber Since 2016

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:13 pm

My crabs love this...it's definitely a great way to see what they do and don't like!! I use small shells, because sometimes the hermits drag them off into their holes!! :hlol:

You can do it the way Stella does it, or you can mix individual plates, so that the food groups are on each one - this way each crab has the opportunity of having all of the food groups when he/she finds a shell :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:37 pm

I have seen people using paint palletes to offer individual sections of food, very clever!
@hermiesguardian uses plastic paint trays, I saw them in a photo.
Crabber Since 2016

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:48 pm

StellaCrab wrote:I have seen people using paint palletes to offer individual sections of food, very clever!
Actually I don't anymore. Lol. I read that it may be slippery for them so I switched to small terra cotta saucers. I wish I could find smaller than 4". I use 2 now, for the foraging effect. And a shell for either peanut butter or honey.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:51 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
StellaCrab wrote:I have seen people using paint palletes to offer individual sections of food, very clever!
Actually I don't anymore. Lol. I read that it may be slippery for them so I switched to small terra cotta saucers. I wish I could find smaller than 4". I use 2 now, for the foraging effect. And a shell for either peanut butter or honey.
That’s what those are for!
Crabber Since 2016

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Fri May 04, 2018 1:47 pm

StellaCrab wrote:Actually I don't anymore. Lol. I read that it may be slippery for them so I switched to small terra cotta saucers. I wish I could find smaller than 4". I use 2 now, for the foraging effect. And a shell for either peanut butter or honey.
Not trying to push anything here, @StellaCrab, but I'm a potter and use terra cotta for everything I make. If you want something smaller than 4", that's a snap, glazed or unglazed, any size or shape. Custom shapes are okay, too, within reason. If you can sketch it, I can make it.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri May 04, 2018 4:55 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:

Well, I went back to the paint pallet.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri May 04, 2018 5:00 pm

mlakers wrote:
StellaCrab wrote:Actually I don't anymore. Lol. I read that it may be slippery for them so I switched to small terra cotta saucers. I wish I could find smaller than 4". I use 2 now, for the foraging effect. And a shell for either peanut butter or honey.
Not trying to push anything here, @StellaCrab, but I'm a potter and use terra cotta for everything I make. If you want something smaller than 4", that's a snap, glazed or unglazed, any size or shape. Custom shapes are okay, too, within reason. If you can sketch it, I can make it.

Actually it was me, hermiesgaurdian, that wrote that about the clay saucers. Stella was quoting me. But very cool! How much would you charge for a couple small dishes let's say?

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Sat May 05, 2018 9:40 am

Oops! @hermiesgaurdian I lost track of the threads (happens to me a lot, I fear). :P

It depends on how specialized you want the dishes to be. If you just want simple, small, and round (with no glaze), I can produce those for $4 each. And if they are small enough, they'll fit in a small flat-rate box and ship for $7, priority mail. (I can do glazes and custom shapes, too, but those take additional time and would cost just a bit more. I do think a glazed interior is nice, though--so much easier to clean and keep clean. I have food-safe glazes in all sorts of colors, both natural shades and primary colors.)

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat May 05, 2018 10:44 am

mlakers wrote:Oops! @hermiesgaurdian I lost track of the threads (happens to me a lot, I fear). :P

It depends on how specialized you want the dishes to be. If you just want simple, small, and round (with no glaze), I can produce those for $4 each. And if they are small enough, they'll fit in a small flat-rate box and ship for $7, priority mail. (I can do glazes and custom shapes, too, but those take additional time and would cost just a bit more. I do think a glazed interior is nice, though--so much easier to clean and keep clean. I have food-safe glazes in all sorts of colors, both natural shades and primary colors.)
Lol. No problem. I will certainly keep this in mind. And I have found that the unglazed saucers are very difficult to clean.