Airtight

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Airtight

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon May 07, 2018 2:00 pm

Does the dry food have to be in an airtight packaging? I purchased one of those small parts organizers for the crab's dry food, but the drawers are "open".
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Airtight

Post by JoeHermits » Mon May 07, 2018 2:12 pm

Not necessarily, but limiting the food's exposure to moisture in the air will help keep it fresher for longer. Dry food should ideally be kept in a cool, dry space. If you have a cabinet in the basement or a similar place you could probably store dry food there without problems.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon May 07, 2018 2:58 pm

JoeHermits wrote:Not necessarily, but limiting the food's exposure to moisture in the air will help keep it fresher for longer. Dry food should ideally be kept in a cool, dry space. If you have a cabinet in the basement or a similar place you could probably store dry food there without problems.
Ok. Thanks.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon May 07, 2018 4:32 pm

I would not pour the foods into those containers, but that is me. Like the previous poster mentioned (I’m sorry- cannot recall the name as I am on my phone), moisture getting into the food will not allow the food to have as long of a shelf life as it normally would. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon May 07, 2018 4:42 pm

One thing you could do is line the compartments with Ziploc bags that you can seal when in storage. Note that regular sandwich bags are actually porous, so you may have to double up.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon May 07, 2018 5:51 pm

They do make 2 gallon Ziplocs that should fit an entire organizer!

Another option would be to store it in the freezer - no moisture means no freezer burn even if not sealed tightly, and the low temp and humidity will keep it good for a very long time.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon May 07, 2018 11:58 pm

wodesorel wrote:They do make 2 gallon Ziplocs that should fit an entire organizer!

Another option would be to store it in the freezer - no moisture means no freezer burn even if not sealed tightly, and the low temp and humidity will keep it good for a very long time.
No room in my freezer. I don't have a large quantity of food. Just several sample bags. I just needed a more convenient way to organize it all and not have to always open those tiny zip lock bags.

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue May 08, 2018 9:36 pm

I so relate. Organizing crab food can feel like such a chore sometimes. I have little sealed containers (glass flip top jars or smaller plastic tubes for storing craft stuff, like beads and such, for things I have in very small volumes) on a hanging spice rack at this point. But no system is perfect. :roll:
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(