Feeding Frequency?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Feeding Frequency?

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat May 19, 2018 6:49 am

How many times per week do any of you usually feed the same food item? I personally try not to give my crabs the same food twice in a week. I feed my crabs every night, sometimes I skip a night and feed the next day.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Feeding Frequency?

Post by GotButterflies » Sat May 19, 2018 7:26 am

I feed once a day. I never skip a night. I also never feed the same food twice in a row, or twice in a week. I have enough of a variety that I am fortunate enough to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat May 19, 2018 10:47 am

Okay! :)
I only skip a night if I forgot to feed them, they don't mind.
My pantry has a whole bag full of foods that I feed them, those are all dry. I keep berries, veggies, and meats in my refrigerator.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Hermie225

Post by Hermie225 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:25 am

I feed every other day, if I’m really busy sometimes just once a week..
I have some pre-made ‘complete meal’ mixes I’ve put together for when life gets real busy, they contain 2-4 different types of each element of their diet. They contain some of the same ingredients but with 5 crabs they do a number on it. I figure they know what they need and will eat accordingly so long as all areas of nutrition are met.
If I have time to choose individual items I will not feed the same consecutively.

curlysister

Post by curlysister » Mon May 21, 2018 12:43 pm

If I feed fresh stuff, I will replace daily because it gets too gross LOL. If I feed dried, I change it out a couple times a week. The very most I will leave food in there is a week - I don't have a crab sitter that I would trust to close things up so that the cats couldn't get into the tank. I try not to give the same things consecutively, but it does happen.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed May 23, 2018 1:10 am

I ordered some food from THCP, but i feel like it's not enough for them. I got some Spinach mix and some peanut crunchies. I have two PPs, what do yall feed?
Also, if you premix your food and store it in the fridge, how long can it last?
If you freeze it, do you thaw it out and heat it before feeding?
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Hermie225

Post by Hermie225 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:18 am

ciaraalston wrote:I ordered some food from THCP, but i feel like it's not enough for them. I got some Spinach mix and some peanut crunchies. I have two PPs, what do yall feed?
Also, if you premix your food and store it in the fridge, how long can it last?
If you freeze it, do you thaw it out and heat it before feeding?
Dry mixes I keep in an airtight container inside a cabinet out of direct light. Fresh foods I just use scraps from my own meals, leftovers I’ll put in bags and keep in the freezer. I just pop in a small piece of whatever, say a chunk of chicken or pineapple, still frozen. It thaws pretty quickly in the tank and usually is eaten within 24 hours. But you could always leave something out at room temp to thaw first before feeding, I think it comes down to personal preference to whichever works for you :)