Baby Food?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
mxxlane

Baby Food?

Post by mxxlane » Sun May 27, 2018 2:31 am

Hi, new crab owner here! I’m trying to still figure out the best food for my hermies and have seen lots of suggestions on baby food. They’ve had some shrimp brine one night and didn’t seem to like it much but other nights I give them organic baby food with either shredded carrots or sliced banana in there and they love it!! Does anyone else use baby food? If so how long do you keep the pouch (or jar) before throwing it out? I’ve also crushed some of the pellet food and put a little in but I’m unsure if the pellets are even necessary... Any other food suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Also, how much do you feed your crabs? I don’t want to overfeed them but I also want them to have plenty to eat. (They get a meal every night.) I’m going to buy more vegetables and fruit this week and try to find some good protein for them too. Thanks in advance!!

Kermie16

Re: Baby Food?

Post by Kermie16 » Sun May 27, 2018 6:35 am

Hey there! Not sure if this will be much helpful information but thought I would drop a reply anyway:) I use organic baby food Beech Nut - they usually have a great variety. In the fridge while in the jar I usually wouldn’t keep them longer than a week. But, what I normally do is freeze a small amount at a time in mini ice cube trays. I got mine cheap at my grocery store and I just put enough to cover the bottom. They freeze pretty quickly and then I transfer them into freezer containers with other fresh foods I have stored in the freezer for them. On busy nights when I’m unable to give them scraps from cooking, I take those out and put them in an empty egg shell (I keep these stores in my fridge daily) and drop it in the tank for them:) They don’t eat much. They nibble mostly. Also remember they are also munching on other stuff you already have in the tank (natural woods, coco fiber, and, in my case, isopods, etc). I don’t use any of the pellet foods. There are some crabbers that do incorporate some pellet foods with other dried foods. My crabs never touched the pellets. Also, I just find it cheaper if they can eat scraps of what we eat in our home:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermie225

Post by Hermie225 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:21 am

Organic baby food is safe, my hermies really like any flavor that contains sweet potato! I do same as Kermie, about a week in the fridge and freeze unused portions.

If a food doesn’t go over well the first time do not be discouraged, keep trying, they can be picky little guys!

Topic author
mxxlane

Post by mxxlane » Sun May 27, 2018 3:45 pm

Thanks guys! I think I’ll do away with the pellets, the don’t seem to enjoy them much anyways