Food questions

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Kpeterson09

Food questions

Post by Kpeterson09 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:28 am

When should I put the food in? How long can it stay in tank? Can I use the same food every night as long as it's still good. I've gotta the whole tank heat and humidity situated. Now I have to battle foods.

If i could get food suggestions. I've read the approved lists and everything but they just made my head hurt.

What's your crabs favs?

Do I need to put all the food groups in tank every night??

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

AwesomeHermit

Re: Food questions

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:06 pm

I change it every night or two. My crabs mainly like eggshells, spirulina, walnuts, almonds, cuttlebone, and freeze-dried shrimp. If I would give you recommendations, I would need to print out my whole hermit crab food calendar. Perssonally, I would have all food groups
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:33 pm

I change it every night to two nights depending on what it is. Fresh foods tend to get changed sooner. Hermits are scavengers.so they tend to like things a bit "yuckier" than we would think, so there is no real set time, I just prefer to not attract bugs so I pull fresh foods sooner than later. Leaf litter and bark is a great addition plus a daily animal protein is a great start. Adding things such as egg shells with albium in the tank is a great source of protein and calcium from the shell. If you make sure they get a variety of fruits and veggies and calcium and make sure the foods are safe without additives you will do just fine. :) viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92554 I found this guide extremely helpful when I first learning about feeding my hermies. :)

Topic author
Kpeterson09

Post by Kpeterson09 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:37 pm

Rawrgeous wrote:I change it every night to two nights depending on what it is. Fresh foods tend to get changed sooner. Hermits are scavengers.so they tend to like things a bit "yuckier" than we would think, so there is no real set time, I just prefer to not attract bugs so I pull fresh foods sooner than later. Leaf litter and bark is a great addition plus a daily animal protein is a great start. Adding things such as egg shells with albium in the tank is a great source of protein and calcium from the shell. If you make sure they get a variety of fruits and veggies and calcium and make sure the foods are safe without additives you will do just fine. :) viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92554 I found this guide extremely helpful when I first learning about feeding my hermies. :)
Yes I read that this morning. I order some dry food from the hermit crab patch. So we will see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:12 am

Good choice! I've ordered from them off and on over the years. My crabs have always enjoyed their stuff. :)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:00 am

I personally switch my foods out daily. My guys are spoiled/picky. They don't like to have the same food twice. I wish I could get away with that! They can eat a lot of the foods that you eat! Have you checked the safe food list? :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:09 pm

I have used a lot of different foods from the HCP. If I put those dry foods in, I leave them for 3 days or so. If I put fresh foods in, I only leave them for 24hrs (unless I forget for an extra day, but then they are pretty gross and fuzzy, bleh). I honestly don't pay as much attention to which foods are given which days, as some people do. I do try to give most food groups each feed, and am okay with giving the same thing a couple times in a row.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:04 am

I struggle to feed mine too. They just don't eat. I've ordered from The Hermit Crab Patch, and Hermie's Kitchen. All dry foods. I put some fresh raspberries in there occasionally. But i change their food about every 2 days. It hurts, cause i feel like i'm wasting it since they haven't touched it, but if i don't i feel like they're neglected. lol. I found a lot of folks on instagram that posted their daily food, and that helps me gauge what to feed mine. I basically copy their general idea, since they feed all the food groups.
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:06 am

ciaraalston wrote:I struggle to feed mine too. They just don't eat. I've ordered from The Hermit Crab Patch, and Hermie's Kitchen. All dry foods. I put some fresh raspberries in there occasionally. But i change their food about every 2 days. It hurts, cause i feel like i'm wasting it since they haven't touched it, but if i don't i feel like they're neglected. lol. I found a lot of folks on instagram that posted their daily food, and that helps me gauge what to feed mine. I basically copy their general idea, since they feed all the food groups.
If they're alive, they're eating. They eat such tiny amounts it's almost impossible to detect how much. You'll learn what their favorites are. My crabs favorites, as creepy as it sounds, are crab legs. And now raw liver. And they're picky so what they drag off one day, may seem like it's ignored next time.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:16 pm

"If they're alive, they're eating". This was how I guaged my feeding success for many years while they were smaller! LOL! Now that Sonny is so big, I can actually see that some food disappears, but seriously the only way I knew they were eating and drinking when they were smaller was that they were still alive!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:49 pm

curlysister wrote:"If they're alive, they're eating". This was how I guaged my feeding success for many years while they were smaller! LOL! Now that Sonny is so big, I can actually see that some food disappears, but seriously the only way I knew they were eating and drinking when they were smaller was that they were still alive!
Sounds like the opposite of my two. I dump in at least a quarter-sized pile, if not bigger, and the only thing left by morning is a few crumbs. They're eating machines. :lol:
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:25 pm

Moonlightdreams wrote:
curlysister wrote:"If they're alive, they're eating". This was how I guaged my feeding success for many years while they were smaller! LOL! Now that Sonny is so big, I can actually see that some food disappears, but seriously the only way I knew they were eating and drinking when they were smaller was that they were still alive!
Sounds like the opposite of my two. I dump in at least a quarter-sized pile, if not bigger, and the only thing left by morning is a few crumbs. They're eating machines. :lol:
Oh man I wish! I feel like I'm wasting so much food! Lol
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:27 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:I struggle to feed mine too. They just don't eat. I've ordered from The Hermit Crab Patch, and Hermie's Kitchen. All dry foods. I put some fresh raspberries in there occasionally. But i change their food about every 2 days. It hurts, cause i feel like i'm wasting it since they haven't touched it, but if i don't i feel like they're neglected. lol. I found a lot of folks on instagram that posted their daily food, and that helps me gauge what to feed mine. I basically copy their general idea, since they feed all the food groups.
If they're alive, they're eating. They eat such tiny amounts it's almost impossible to detect how much. You'll learn what their favorites are. My crabs favorites, as creepy as it sounds, are crab legs. And now raw liver. And they're picky so what they drag off one day, may seem like it's ignored next time.
Yeah, and I try to put such small amounts like the size of my pinky finger nail but they still look like it's not even touched. Lol