fresh water snails?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
iofushi

fresh water snails?

Post by iofushi » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:32 am

hi all,
besides the hermit crabs i have a 55+20gal fresh water tank, and over time with my additions of live plants i nabbed some of those pesky hitchhiker snails, which are prolific in my tank now >.< either way i look at it i have to get rid of these guys for the health of the tank, so im wondering are they safe to toss in the hermit crab tank? any i see in my tank grew up in my tank over the last year, and my tank is 80%naturally fed, with flake food from the store being the rest of the food in the tank. no worries about pesticides or bad chemicals there, but possible pathogens? also hair algae?
Pets: Cosmos (DM/LH cat, 3 1/2 yrs), 6 hermit crabs, 1 angelfish "Zen" (8 yrs), 1 Royal Pleco (1 yr) "Reginald",assorted giant danio's, ottocinclus, and black skirt tetra, 8 russian dwarf hamsters

"No Farms, No Food"

ciaraalston

Re: fresh water snails?

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:00 am

iofushi wrote:hi all,
besides the hermit crabs i have a 55+20gal fresh water tank, and over time with my additions of live plants i nabbed some of those pesky hitchhiker snails, which are prolific in my tank now >.< either way i look at it i have to get rid of these guys for the health of the tank, so im wondering are they safe to toss in the hermit crab tank? any i see in my tank grew up in my tank over the last year, and my tank is 80%naturally fed, with flake food from the store being the rest of the food in the tank. no worries about pesticides or bad chemicals there, but possible pathogens? also hair algae?
If you don't mind I'm following this. We also have an aquarium with a nurite snail and eventually he will have to move the snail. Little guy is too cute, I have to keep him! and he's too small for a 10 gal alone. Wonder if he could survive in just the pools...

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:28 am

I personally wouldn’t, they could be unhealthy in any way.
When it comes to feeding aquarium life, you definitely wouldn’t want to feed it if it came from a PetCo or PetSmart store, they may be unhealthy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
iofushi

Post by iofushi » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:23 am

i've had the snails in my tank for about a year now, so im not too worried as i said about chemicals in them but yea, i am worried about pathogens. i can keep that tank clean and all but i dont know what organisms are in the water! so i will probably forego the snails, but i did start thinking about something different.

everything ive seen so far says A, whole fresh fruits, veggies, meat, etc, and B dont feed pellet food, if its going to be part of the diet to atleast crush it into powder. ive done it a couple times where ive taken a bunch of ingredients, essentially powdered/pasted it, baked up up as a sheet of essentially flake food and feed the fish with homemade flake food. would that possibly kill the pathogens, and make them a possibly tasty "super food"? or am i just grasping at straws here haha. thanks!
Pets: Cosmos (DM/LH cat, 3 1/2 yrs), 6 hermit crabs, 1 angelfish "Zen" (8 yrs), 1 Royal Pleco (1 yr) "Reginald",assorted giant danio's, ottocinclus, and black skirt tetra, 8 russian dwarf hamsters

"No Farms, No Food"

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:20 am

I personally dont see why not? As long as the snails (and aquarium) is healthy, then it should be aafe.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:24 am

I agree with JJ.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:40 am

Okay, since you’ve have them for a while, they should be fine :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!