Sponge Care

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Danik

Sponge Care

Post by Danik » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:46 pm

Hello all. I have a sponge in both of my water bowls. would it be better to just have water in the bowl or with the sponge? Also how would I go about cleaning my sponges?

piratetoothgir

Re: Sponge Care

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:16 pm

Hello! :)

IMO, sponges are unnecessary, and shouldn't be used. You can use them outside of water, but it's best not to use them.
If not cleaned properly, they can grow harmful bacteria, and it's a chore to clean them out each time you change the water.

I have some sponges hidden in a cork round, they may enjoy eating them :)
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
Danik

Post by Danik » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Stella wrote:Hello! :)

IMO, sponges are unnecessary, and shouldn't be used. You can use them outside of water, but it's best not to use them.
If not cleaned properly, they can grow harmful bacteria, and it's a chore to clean them out each time you change the water.

I have some sponges hidden in a cork round, they may enjoy eating them :)

Can I use the sponges I already have for them to munch on or should I get some new ones? Can I lay them around or should I put them in something?

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:33 pm

Danik wrote: Can I use the sponges I already have for them to munch on or should I get some new ones? Can I lay them around or should I put them in something?
You’d have to squeeze the water out, and let them air dry. You can microwave them, or boil them. They have to be completely dry to be microwaved!

I just lay mine around, but you can put them in something if you’d like :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016

Topic author
Danik

Post by Danik » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:37 pm

Stella wrote:
Danik wrote: Can I use the sponges I already have for them to munch on or should I get some new ones? Can I lay them around or should I put them in something?
You’d have to squeeze the water out, and let them air dry. You can microwave them, or boil them. They have to be completely dry to be microwave

Awesome thank you so much
Last edited by Danik on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Your welcome!

Crabber Since 2016

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:33 pm

Stella wrote:
You’d have to squeeze the water out, and let them air dry. You can microwave them, or boil them. They have to be completely dry to be microwaved!

No need to do all that work. Simply removing the sponge will suffice. Remember, natural sea sponges should be used as a snack, anything thats fake or dyed is best veing turffed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:54 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Stella wrote:

No need to do all that work. Simply removing the sponge will suffice. Remember, natural sea sponges should be used as a snack, anything thats fake or dyed is best veing turffed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Oh, well that’s the way I always cleaned mine when I did use them, otherwise they shouldn’t be used in water :)

Crabber Since 2016