Cinnamon Trials?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
hopefullcrabber

Cinnamon Trials?

Post by hopefullcrabber » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:48 pm

I know that a lot of people on here seem to shying away from cinnamon. I can tell you from experience that not only have my hermits eaten it and survived, but they really seemed to like it. I do have a few caveats though. The only thing I have tried with cinnamon in it are various organic baby foods, which they seem to like in general. Also my crabs are strawberries and I have noticed that their tastes differ in some areas compared to the PP's I've had in the past. Has anyone else tried cinnamon?
Last edited by hopefullcrabber on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soilentgringa

Re: Cinnamon Trials

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:51 pm

hopefullcrabber wrote:I know that a lot of people on here seem to shying away from cinnamon. I can tell you from experience that not only have my hermits eaten it and survived, but they really seemed to like it. I do have a few caveats though. The only thing I have tried with cinnamon in it are various organic baby foods, which they seem to like in general. Also my crabs are strawberries and I have noticed that their tastes differ in some areas compared to the PP's I've had in the past.
How long have you been feeding cinnamon?

Just because something doesn't kill a crab immediately doesn't mean it isn't toxic to them. They can be ill for a while before showing any signs of distress.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:40 pm

A food trial takes a few people to try an item /by itself/ over a period of time of few months to a year.

It's interesting to hear that they are okay with it mixed in other food! I would still caution about using it mixed into another product, especially something like baby food where it is not possible for them to eat around it. There is always the possibilty they cannot recognize it or are too hungry to avoid it.

Cinnamon should not be harmful, but most insects and arthropods actively avoid it.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
hopefullcrabber

Post by hopefullcrabber » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:23 pm

Sorry I suppose I should have put a "?" after the trails. I was intending to see if anyone else had any other experiences with cinnamon. I really feel like they liked the addition of cinnamon or at the very least didn't mind it. I have fed it to them several times in two different products and both times they seemed to prefer it to the other foods offered that night.