Feeding poop

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Feeding poop

Post by curlysister » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:35 pm

Well, I figure at least a couple of people will check out this thread with that title! Hehehe!

The post about the Alaska store being closed, only selling moose poop for hermit crabs got me thinking. I have moose that frequent my back yard, but hadn't thought of feeding their poop until now. Does it matter whether they have been eating organic? I don't use any chemicals, but live rurally with lots of farmland around where chemicals are used, and where the moose go. Is that okay? What other critter poop can we feed to hermit crabs?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

piratetoothgir

Re: Feeding poop

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:36 pm

You can feed any type of poop, as long as the animal is on a good diet, no pesticides or medications can be used. Otherwise, go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:41 pm

I was quiet fond of feesing possum poop. Mine seem to enjoy it quiet a bit. :) (and if i really wanted to, could source kangaroo poo... but meh. Dont fancy a walk in the park collecting poop.... wombat poo however, is in nice little cubed portions so maybe thats the way to go?)

Many feed rabbit and the like, and seem to have great success with that.

Ok. Actually answering the question, i think it would be fine to trial it out and see!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:52 pm

Wolf always collected from the middle of nowhere Alaska, if that helps any!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:23 pm

When I lived in the middle of nowhere Northwest Territories, I didn't have my hermies! LOL! I can source rabbit, moose, deer, coyote, and occasionally raccoon. But I am pretty sure that some would be eating foods that have been treated with pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizer. Would it still be a problem after going through the digestive tract?

Moose would probably eat the least with chemicals, they don't eat crops or grain, just the foliage in the forests that are intermingled with the fields. Rabbits and deer eat gardens ( and my niece's rabbit doesn't eat organic). Coyotes and raccoons eat everything and anything, I don't think I would use their poop.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Anondotco

Post by Anondotco » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:43 pm

So I've got a Guinea pig, a hedgehog, one soon to be two beardered dragons.
They love the bearded dragon shed and I heard you could give them Guinea pig poo, I'm about to try that tonight. I was wondering about the hedge hog poo
Sincerely yours 😊.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:17 pm

It's funny how we spend so much time and money on a million different foods, yet they love to eat crap! This is Triple H in a bowl of worm poop! There are 10 other foods in the tank, but they love poop! Btw, what nutrition do they get from the animals poops? What would that be classified as?Image

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Anondotco

Post by Anondotco » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:49 pm

Still curious about hedgie poo????
Sincerely yours 😊.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:16 pm

Anondotco wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:49 pm
Still curious about hedgie poo????
In theory, probably, but whether I'd personally recommend it would depend on the hedgehog's diet. If you're feeding it pellets or some other commercial food you'd have to make sure it doesn't have any questionable ingredients such as preservatives or minerals like copper sulfate.

Links

Post by Links » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:41 pm

I just got some worm poo too! Says nitrogen and calcium but they only make up 2.25% of the weight. So there’s sooooo much more in there. Probably things like humic acid, fulvic acid, and wayyyyy more. Lots of carbon etc.... not sure but those acids mentioned may have carbon on them.

And I’m sure just about every macro and micro nutrient that plants use are in it as well. But i don’t know why it’s not listed. I’m guessing because concentrations aren’t always the same from bag to bag.

Here’s stuff (picture below) we use on golf greens which are growing in a 85:15 sand:peat moss mix. Sand has the lowest CEC (cation exchange capacity) clay has the highest. Simply meaning sand can’t hold as many nutrients as clay. And silt which is the third and final makeup of soil must be in between clay and sand. I don’t remember exactly.

Anyway this worm power has changed the turf industry in my opinion. I’ve seen bigger and deeper roots since using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:55 pm

I definitely checked out the topic because of the title, lol. But Xenocrab has a point; we spend so much money on them and they'd prefer poop we could just go pick up outside and bring in! Heck, I pick up dog poop every week in my backyard- I could just feed them that, lol, and they'd be happy! Haha!
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Links

Post by Links » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:21 pm

That might be ok but if it were me I’d only feed poop from an animal that I know is eating clean Whole Foods.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:25 pm

Crabby7Crabber wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:55 pm
I definitely checked out the topic because of the title, lol. But Xenocrab has a point; we spend so much money on them and they'd prefer poop we could just go pick up outside and bring in! Heck, I pick up dog poop every week in my backyard- I could just feed them that, lol, and they'd be happy! Haha!
If you give your dog heartworm preventative, which is monthly, you can't feed them his poop. Or if he was dewormed. Or any other meds.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:26 pm

Links wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:21 pm
That might be ok but if it were me I’d only feed poop from an animal that I know is eating clean Whole Foods.

I was just joking! I always feed my crabs foods that are fresh and not disgusting (except for the river shrimp! ugh!)
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:41 pm

Oh my, I can't believe this thread from almost two years ago has been resurrected. LOL.